What is the best way to set up a workload tracker for my team performing multiple projects and task?

M. Singh April 12, 2019

Our team is currently using Trello to track tasks, ad-hoc requests, and projects. Each team member (6 people) has their own board and there is one overall team board. There is some overlap, so I do not believe it is the most efficient system. We are a team of business analysts and financial analysts. I want to transfer our workload tracker to Jira.

The types of work we do are labeled as Tasks, Ad-Hoc, or Projects. Each one will have different statuses and workflows. 

Examples:

Tasks - Create a white paper, Sign new policy, Change survey questions

Ad-Hoc - Fix an existing report, Create a new one-time report

Projects - Develop a dashboard, automate a process, create a predictive model

Tasks are items that must get completed. It's important to see who the task is assigned to and the status of the task. The task can either be a task for the whole team, for part of the team, or for an individual. The task will have a status of "Active", "On Hold", or "Completed". Each task will also have a priority of Low, Medium, or High.

Active - The task is currently being worked on.

On Hold - The task is on hold because of a circumstance out of the member's control.

Completed - The task has been successfully completed.

Ad-Hoc requests and Projects for now will follow the same process. Ad-hoc requests are items that come in that don't need to be routinely performed. For example, it could be pulling a report that only needs to be pulled once. Projects are requests that come in that have a larger scope and requirement. Both of these will have a status of "Backlog", "Not Started", "Active", "On Hold", or "Completed". Each request will also have a priority of Low, Medium, or High. Also, each status will have a "phase" as I call it or a sub-status. Each request will also have a "Customer", "Point of Contact", "Size", and "Request Received". Each request will have milestones which will each have a "Due Date" associated with it as well.

Backlog - Requests we have received that have not been neither assessed, evaluated, nor assigned.

Not Started - Requests that have been assigned to a team member. The team member will then have to go gather all the detailed requirements from the customer. The two phases within this status are "In Queue" or "Requirements". "In Queue" means the members assigned to the request do not have the current capacity to assess the request. "Requirements" means that the team members have capacity and are gathering the full set of requirements.

Active - The requirements have been finalized and an agreement has been made with the customer on the work product and the team member is/team members are actively working on the deliverable. The phases within this status are "Development" or "Testing".

On Hold - The project is on hold due to circumstances out of team member's or team members' control. The phases possible are "Pending Customer, "Pending System", or "Pending Other".

Completed - The project requirements have been successfully met and the project has been delivered. The phases here are "Done" or "Operations and Maintenance". We support the products we deliver and need to track activity after they are delivered as well.

I hope the workflow makes sense. I am 100% open to suggestions as we are still evolving our tracking. The goal is for all the team members to be able to track their work to deliver products on time, to track their work output for their annual appraisals, and for the supervisor to have insight into the teams' workload. Ultimately, I would like to be able to automatically generate reports to each customer for the specific projects we are working on for them. Also, an overall report of our supervisor. Any assistance in getting the framework established for this would truly be GREATLY appreciated. I am fumbling around right now.

0 answers

Suggest an answer