What is the best way to manage resources on Jira and synchronize them to MS Project?

nicola_campagna March 23, 2021

Hi all,

I'm working on how to manage resources inside Jira software and get their workload synchronized together with MS Project.

I tried to use Advanced Roadmap but it is very difficult to manage resources, since it only considers teams. I saw some plugins that expand the project management and project planning with resource management but I didn't find the best solution yet. I also checked about Ceptah (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/9203/ceptah-bridge-jira-ms-project-plugin?hosting=cloud&tab=overview) that should be the connector towards MS Project.

There is one point that is not clear for me: since we evaluate the issues in story points, how is it possible to make an analogy with the MS Project Workload that is based on hours or time spent?

Thank you for any answers and any consideration that you want to give

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 24, 2021

Hi @nicola_campagna 

What exactly do you mean by managing resources?

If you think about it in terms of managing resources’ workload, perhaps you should consider BigPicture.
The Resources module provides all crucial information to manage resources both at project and portfolio levels but also can give an insight into resource utilization on a PI/Sprint level.

You can display capacity, remaining capacity, and workload both on the individual and Team level, which allows precise analyzing the consumption of currently utilized resources and forecasted availability. Data are color-coded what helps in the quick identification of both overallocation and under- allocation.
image - 2021-03-24T151336.797.png

Could you please tell me which data you would like to synchronize with MS Project?

nicola_campagna March 25, 2021

Hi @Anna-BigPicture 

thank you for your answer.

Yes, the meaning of my question was related to resources' workload and resources allocation management. The idea is to understand if a resource is under-allocated, over-allocated and if there is space in the team to put on another project on the timeline. Does this tool (BigPicture) support the evaluation of the workload in story points?

Regarding MS Project, the data to be synchronized would be the all the issues related to the projects and their statuses (in progress, done, etc...), the resources' workload and resources allocation. Is it possible to do it? I was wandering also how to match story points with hours, that is how MS Project is evaluating workload.

Like Anna-BigPicture likes this
Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 30, 2021

HI @nicola_campagna

It looks that your needs and BigPicture functionalities are matched. Yes, you can display the Original Estimate/Remaining Estimate/Time logged in Story Points. The values will be converted according to a defined story points conversion ratio.

Regarding synchronization with MS Project, what file format do you usually use to export/import data to/from this tool?

nicola_campagna March 30, 2021

Hi @Anna-BigPicture ,

thank you again for your answer. Actually we were looking for an automated solution to share the data between Jira and MS Projcet. We were thinking to give a try to Ceptah Bridge tool (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/9203/ceptah-bridge-jira-ms-project-plugin?hosting=cloud&tab=overview). Do you know if it is compatible with BigPicture information regarding workload and story points - hours conversion?

Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
April 20, 2021

Hi @nicola_campagna

At the moment BigPicture does not support direct synchronization with Ceptah Bridge. However, the plugin can display and aggregate data from Jira fields.

Speaking about story point conversion ratio - you can configure it and adjust to the actual business needs.

Like nicola_campagna likes this
Shweta November 24, 2022

Hi @nicola_campagna ..the solution you have presented above. How can i implement that. Any leads would help 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events