What is the best way to guide bug issue creators on Jira Software ?

Maxime L June 14, 2022

Hi,

it seems to be a pretty usual question but surprisingly I didn't find any efficient, simple and not insanely expensive answer to that.

Our 12 developers team uses Jira Software for its daily tasks management. We'd like to invite 3 support members to the project so that they can report Bug issues. The only condition is that we want to provide them a little bit more guided issue creation form with questions like "What is the browser ?" "What is the impact for the user ?".

Idealy, the Forms feature for Service Desk is what I want - but it seems over-complicated and expensive to create a whole new Service Desk project just for 3 people creating bugs on Jira Software.

Being a small team - how would you allow a small customer support team to efficiently create and track bugs in Jira Software ?

1 answer

0 votes
Jimi Wikman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 14, 2022

Can you use the issue collector under Project settings by any chance?

"Collects the environment data of the user, if they consent to it being collected. This data includes the browser type, screen resolution, referral header, and URL where the feedback was collected."

I think this should be helpful?

If you use the custom template, then you can add any fields you want in there.

This need to added as a small JS or HTML snippet though, so you might want to connect it to a user account ID unless everyone that have access should be able to report bugs.

Maxime L June 14, 2022

Hi Jimi

The custom form on the Issue Collector allows me to select issue fields I'd like to add to the form. It means I would have to add 20-30 fields to my Bug issue type, with no guidance or description on the fields.

If I accept that, Issue Collector would not be useful as I can add those fields to the Bug form inside Jira. But the issue is that adding 30 fields will add pollution to my views and I can't control the order/description/placeholder

Jimi Wikman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 14, 2022

May I ask why you would need that any fields and where the tests will take place?

I agree that the best place to add incidents and defects is in Jira itself, but I have not seen anyone needing that many fields :)

In my setups I place test fields in a separate tab and I usually have something like:

• Steps to reproduce
  • Affects Version
  • Environment
  • Priority
  • Urgency
  • Browser (for FED testing)
  • Related Requirement (if known)

Then I use Components sometimes if it is applicable.

Jimi Wikman
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 14, 2022

The only other option I can think of is setting up a Business project and use that for Incident management and then either update the filter in your regular JIRA project to also import those, or manually move them.

In the business project you can create forms like you can in Jira Service Management. Kinda :)

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 14, 2022

I would recommend Jimi's last option as well. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events