What is the best practice when a ticket fails QA: reopen the ticket or create a new one?

Dirk Vansina September 14, 2022

What if a ticket failed QA-testing:

In the past, we always created a new ticket (linked with the original ticket) because it was easier to follow up and quickly see what needed to be done (fi. fix a specifiek button).

But now we are trying to figure out the total actual costs of our new features and it is more easier when all work time is logged in 1 single ticket. (sub-tickets can be used to track issues)

What do most organizations do? Create a new ticket or reopen the original ticket?

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Deepak Rai
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 14, 2022

Reopening the original ticket is better way to track all the efforts, total actual costs etc.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 14, 2022

Hi @Dirk Vansina ,

that point is one of the most discussed in the community! From my perspective, the best way is to have a workflow that, in case of failure in QA, ticket can be moved back to dev in order to fix the issue. Pro of that approach is that history of ticket, including comments, branch/code/commit and all other information are available to developer.

Fabio

Dirk Vansina September 14, 2022

@Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_ For reopening tickets: would it be best to add a new status 'reopend for development' (which is equal in the flow as the status 'selected for development')? Or try to reuse the previous statusses of much as possible? What do most organizations do?

Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 14, 2022

Personally, I reuse the existing status

Ben Goodwin August 21, 2023

I know the theme of this thread was at the QA stage. However @Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_ and @Deepak Rai  I'm keen to get a view of closed tickets that have been released to production. My view is this should be be a case that is not in support of re-opening? Thanks

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events