What is the best practice for setting up a JIRA Mail Handler with Exchange for a medium/large org?

ORT JIRA ADMIN January 28, 2021

We have an issue at the moment where when we setup our Exchange local mailbox as our Main Mail Handler for Incoming messages, the incoming mail received in our Exchange mailbox disappears/deletes itself and is then stored in the deleted server Recovery folder of that mailbox in Exchange (deleted folder). After it does that, it then sends a copy of new incoming mail to the Jira Project Issues folder its associated to and the existing mail in the mailbox gets copied over as well and then moved into the deleted Recovery folder of the mailbox we use as the mail handler.

I wanted to know how/what the best practice is to setup a Mail Handler so we can have a copy of an email in both the Jira portal and in our Exchange mailbox when we receive new incoming mail and for it to not auto delete new incoming email in the original Exchange mailbox? Also, we don't want the original existing mail in the exchange mailbox to be transferred/ported over to our Jira Project folder.

Was there a specific application that can support this or is this not available at all with the Jira Mail Handler?

Please advise on how we can get both email copies to both the hander jira portal and in our exchange, in case if we wanted to review the mail from our end.

1 answer

0 votes
mogavenasan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2021

Hi @ORT JIRA ADMIN,

So when you configure the Incoming Mail Server, you will need to fill in the protocol to be used; POP or IMAP.

• POP - will delete the email once processed.
  • IMAP - will mark emails as read after being processed.

That being said, if you would like to have the email retained in the mailbox, you should configure the Incoming Mail Server with IMAP protocol.

I hope that this helps.

Thanks,
Moga

ORT JIRA ADMIN February 5, 2021

Hi Moga, thanks for the reply, when I set it up originally, I used SECURE_IMAP as the protocol and it deleted all incoming mail and existing mail in the main mailbox and moved it to the deleted trash can folder and was only recoverable under "Recover Deleted Items from Server" option so it was automatically being forwarded to the trash instead of being left as a copy in the mail and in one of our Jira Project folders that we enabled the mail handler for.

Should I use just IMAP to avoid having all the email deleted in inbox or does that not matter if I used Secure IMAP or  regular IMAP?

mogavenasan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 9, 2021

Looks like there's a known bug; JRASERVER-67745

Suggest an answer