What information is pulled by Jira from Bitbucket

CareMore DevOps November 24, 2020

Hi All,

We want to understand what information on BitBucket flows or allowed access to JIRA when we establish an application link.

We have an On-Premise SBitBucket DataCenter which is accessible to developers when they are connected to our network.  We use JIRA hosted by a 3rd Party Atlassian Partner on their AWS Cloud.  We want to understand what level of information is pulled by (or stored in) Jira on 3rd Party AWS Cloud from On-Premise BitBucket Server when an application link is established.

Is Jira going to store any source code on its instances or does it just store the references to our On-Premise BitBucket server?

Thank You,

Suresh

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Julius Davies _bit-booster_com_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 25, 2020

My answer based on my experience (not official):  depends on what plugins/apps you've installed on your Jira side.

Out of the box I don't think Jira stores any source code.  I'm not 100% certain, but enabling an "Application Link" into Bitbucket Server or Data Center should not cause any source code to be transmitted to Jira.

But if you install the very popular "Git Integration for Jira" plugin, then I think it does begin mirroring git repositories inside Jira.  Note: That plugin is not maintained by Atlassian.

Other plugins could also change the situation.  Plugins have very high privileges to pretty much do anything, and once that application link is in place plugins can use it.

CareMore DevOps November 25, 2020

Thanks for your response, Sylvie.

Does Atlassian team also follows this community to respond to questions? 

Is there a way that we can reach atlassian team to get an official answer for this questions?

Thank You,

Suresh

Julius Davies _bit-booster_com_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 25, 2020

Atlassian staff are quite active in these forums, and their names are usually decorated with a little "ATLASSIAN TEAM" icon next to their names.  You can mention anyone here by name specifically in your description or in a comment to try and get their attention (they'll receive a notification).  

Your 3rd party Atlassian Partner might also have some good contacts and good Atlassian expertise and would probably be much better equipped to answer your question, or forward your question to the right person at Atlassian.

Suggest an answer