What happened to bug story points?

james gaulden December 13, 2021

Hello all,

I noticed this past week, all my bug story points were removed. I double checked with our admin, and they did not change anything.

I'm at a loss, in which direction to go. I know I added story points to the bugs when this board was given to me.

I was given a hug bug backlog, and need the story points to learn our velocity.

Any suggestions?

2 answers

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 13, 2021

Is this for issues in a Team Managed project or a Company Managed project?

Is the field not displaying on the screen, or is the field present but empty?

If the field is not showing on the screen, have you confirmed that it is not simply hidden because it is empty? Check the More Fields list and the Configure options.

Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 9.52.04 AM.png

If the field is still not showing after that, and if you are in a Company Managed project, then the Jira Administrators of your instance may have changed the configuration applied to your project to remove the Story Points field from the Bug issue type. You would need to reach out to those administrators to get that fixed.

We have been using story points for our bugs for several months and just this week they all disappeared and it's not even showing up; unless it's an epic or issue. We deal with a lot of bugs and I need them present for our velocity.

To answer your questions in order:

idk it was already in place and corporate did the initial setup.

not displaying at all, only for issues now

I did confirm that it should be displayed but is not.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 14, 2021

The first question - is this a Team managed project or a company managed project - can be answered by looking at the bottom of the navigation pane on the left when you are viewing the project. There it will say Team Managed or Company Managed.

james gaulden December 14, 2021

company managed

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 14, 2021

For a Company Managed project, the fields available for issues and the ones that are actually displayed on the screens are managed through Schemes that can be edited only by Jira Administrators. Schemes are then associated to projects. Schemes can be shared among many projects, and any change to the Scheme will affect all the projects with which it is shared. Users who are only Project Administrators are not able to make such changes.

It is possible that a Jira Administrator for your company either changed which Schemes are associated to your project, or change the Schemes themselves such that the Story Points fields is either no longer part of the Field Configuration for the Bug issue type, or is simply not available on the screen for that issue type. You should raise this issue with your Jira Administrators.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 13, 2021

Hi James.

what "old method"? My guess is that someone removed the field from the screen but there are other potential reasons. Are you seeing SP on other issue types?

I'm only seeing it on story. So we deal with a bug backlog, and I had it set up to add story points. Sometime last week they were all removed around the time of the update. we need to get them back. But I am no longer seeing how to perform this issue, sucvh as below is the old way

1 - Add the correct context to the Story Points

- Navigate to JIRA Settings > Issues > Custom fields

- Find the Story Points field > Click on Configure

- Check if the field context is properly added to the bug issues

2 - Add the Story Points to your Project screens

- Navigate to your project > Project Settings > Screens

- Add the Story point screen to your bug screen

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 13, 2021

Are you the site admin? I’m not sure what update you are referring to. I can still access SP under custom fields. 

I do have admin access to my board only.

How are you preforming the task? I'll mimic it

james gaulden December 14, 2021

Is there another route you recommend trying to add story points to our bugs?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 14, 2021

James, 

I think you are well engaged with Trudy at this point. No need to distract from that effort with duplicate answers. 

Like james gaulden likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events