What does my Windows Server 2008 restart produce /secure/errors.jsp message every time?

todd_oneill April 26, 2015

I just installed JIRA Agile on my Windows Server 2008.  I have been successful at installing and then converting the DB to use MySQL.  Everything works great except when I restart the machine.  Every time I do this. I get this message:  http://localhost:8080/secure/errors.jspa

The solution I found on the Internet was this...

• Shutdown JIRA.
  • Clear the contents of <jira-install>/work directory.
  • Start JIRA.

When I do this, everything is working perfectly again.  But, this is extremely annoying. Are there any permanent fixes for this as it happens every time I do a simple reboot? Thanks.

Todd

p.s., reference solution https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/JIRA+missing+class+exception+org.apache.jsp.secure.views.browser.contentonly_jsp

p.s.s., I see the documentation says the app server supported is Apache Tomcat.  I also have just Apache installed and it also works great. Do I have to use Tomcat? Can I just use my own Apache install?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2015

What does the log file say the error is on startup?  It's definitely the working cache being damaged somehow, which could be a number of things (I'd check the user running the service has full read, write, execute and delete access to all the directories) 

For your p.s.s - Apache is a web server, Tomcat is an application server.  You need an application server to run JIRA, not a web server.  You can run JIRA in other application servers, but Tomcat is the only supported one, and JIRA comes with one bundled into it, it's easiest to stick with it.

todd_oneill April 27, 2015

Hi Nic,

Your suggestion of looking into the log files helped me resolve this. Here is what I did. I noticed in the log file there was an error when attempting to connect to MySQL database. It turns out that I did NOT have the MySQL service starting until after JIRA started.  That is, I have WAMP installed and setup a "Task Schedule" job to start up WAMP whenever Windows starts. Well, I believe this "Task" didn't happen until JIRA was already up and running which, by that time, cause JIRA to have this error.

The solution was to click on the tray option for WAMP and indicate to install MySQL as a service and then automatically start this service. Now, when Windows starts up, it will start both JIRA and MySQL services together (to be honest I'm not sure if one still goes before the other but it works now). I've had two successful reboots just now and JIRA Agile was working fine without any intervention from me. I'll post a follow up if I find any different behavior. Thanks again.

Todd

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2015

Well spotted! That's one I always forget to check, and the one that taught me to start with "read the log" when an atlassian app fails to start!

Suggest an answer