What does FieldType = Text Field (read only) mean? And How to use it?

HELDONOR MARTINS BASTOS II April 22, 2021

I'd like to create a Custom Field as Text Field but I don't know how it works. I mean, I wanna create a D.O.D. field with a fixed text non updatable. It appears as NONE. So how can I create this kind a field?

4 answers

3 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2021

The text field (read only) can only be set programmatically, either via a post function, listener, Automation rule or any other apps that can set field values.

HELDONOR MARTINS BASTOS II April 23, 2021

tks mikael... 

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2021

A read-only text field in Jira is what it says it is - people cannot put data in it, it is read only.  If you want data in these, you have to do it with import or code (it really was created to do things like "hold the unique id for an issue when we are migrating from <insert name of weak issue tracker> to Jira, so people who have references in the old system can find it by the old id")

Forget that, it creates a load of junk in the database and you'll need code to populate it.

What you should do is add "message field for edit" fields.  With these, you put some static text into the default value for them, and that gets put on screen when people use a screen where it is used.  No database load, no coding, and you can write what you want.

HELDONOR MARTINS BASTOS II April 26, 2021

Hi Nic, tks for your help... but it's exactly what I want: a read only field to highlight de D.O.R. and D.O.D. agreements... I mean set these fields with the agreements without allow the user to change these rules... does it work over automation rules???

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 22, 2021

Are you trying to create this field for a Company Managed project or a Team Managed project?

How will a value get added to the field initially?

HELDONOR MARTINS BASTOS II April 26, 2021

tks trudy for your help...

0 votes
Rafa February 27, 2024

2024 update: the custom field type "Text Field (read only)" is totally useless.

It is non-editable via web. But it is totally editable on the mobile app... 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events