What determines when a task is crossed off in JIRA, and how can I change it?

Clare Stankwitz October 3, 2016

While attempting to edit a workflow for one project, I managed to break the workflow steps for another project in our instance. Since then, Done tasks are not crossed off, and other tasks are being crossed off as the team updates them, even if they are not completed.

How do I change what is crossed off? And how do I associate that action with a task being Done according to the workflow?

Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 3, 2016

The strike-out is simple - if there is a value of any sort in the "resolution" field, the issue is resolved.

My best guess is that you have put the resolution on the "edit" screen, or put it on a transition screen so the users set it as they go through the workflow, or possibly used a post-function to set it.  When the strikethrough is disappearing, that's only done with "clear resolution" post-functions.

Thanks Nic! Under Resolutions on the Issues page, I selected Clear Defaults and this fixed the strikeouts on To Do/In Progress tasks.

How would I find where to set post functions? I saw this on multiple help documents/threads when I was trying to fix the workflow, but I don't see it anywhere on the Workflows page for my project.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 3, 2016

Yup, go to the workflows and find the one you want to change.  Edit it.  Look for the transitions within it and click on them.  If you're using text mode, it's the lines with ">>>" in them.  If you're in diagram mode, it's the lines between steps/status.

Once you have one selected, you should have a tab for "post-functions", either in the text box under the transition definition, or in a floating box.  It'll be with "conditions" and "validators" and "triggers"

Wow, thank you Nic! This saved me (and my team) lots of angst this week smile.

0 votes
David Skreiner
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 4, 2016

What Nic Brough said: If Resolution is not NONE / Unresolved, JIRA thinks it's done.

In our case, we had inherited a "Reopened" resolution (which nobody was using) from previous admins. Years later, we were contacted by a programmer who'd just been yelled at for ignoring reopened issues that he didn't see  ... he'd been relying on the My Open Issues gadget, which doesn't work if your admin made the error of adding an "incomplete" resolution. 

Fix: Remove that resolution. (Some of our projects now have a "reopened" status instead of the resolution; it seems to works quite well for them.)

Also, when you build workflows, JIRA doesn't add any validators, and the wrong post functions.
So if you e.g. make a "REOPEN" transition, you'll have to manually change the Notification from "Issue edited" to "Issue reopened", and manually add an post function to set the Resolution field to NONE. (You'll always have to manually set Conditions for each and every transition you create; JIRA doesn't even auto-add something as basic as "user has transition issue permission".)

Suggest an answer