What are the steps for working on an active workflow?

JRodney Estrada November 13, 2020

Hi,

I have a project that uses multiple workflows and schemes. One of the workflows (which is shared between 27 projects) needs a transition added but since it's active I get the 'cannot add transition to draft...'. I know I need to make a copy of it but I'm worried about all the steps after clicking "Copy". I don't want to mess up the associated schemes or other projects that share this workflow. I read the documentation but it's not as detailed as I need. I didn't find a relevant YouTube video either.

Much appreciated!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 13, 2020

Hi @JRodney Estrada ,

If you choose Copy - and you should - It will simply open a copy of the existing workflow in an Inactive status. It will not affect the current active one in anyway whatsoever.

Once you are done with the changes in the new, Inactive workflow, you simply sub out the new inactive workflow for the active workflow in each Workflow Scheme where it exists. 

Hi @John Funk ,

Ok, I made a copy and added the missing transition. Now I'm looking at...

Project Settings > Workflows

and the current workflow only has Epic issue type assigned to it.

I'm not sure if I should choose "Add Workflow" or "Switch Scheme" at the top of the page. Am I in the correct place?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 13, 2020

Are you needing to attach the new workflow to just certain projects that are already using that workflow? Or will you be replacing for all?

If all, then you will Edit the Workflow Scheme and add an existing workflow (being the new one you just created)

When you add it, just choose the Epic through the wizard process. 

Then be sure to Publish the workflow scheme. You will not have to do a Switch Scheme in this case. 

If you are just changing some of the projects, you will need to create a new Workflow Scheme and attach the workflows you need for the new scheme. 

And then do the Switch Scheme. 

Ok, sorry for the million questions. I just want to avoid any mistakes on my side. This is the part that's a little fuzzy for me. I attached a screenshot just in case I didn't describe it correctly. The circled workflow is the only one that needs to be replaced with the updated version. And it's only for this one project. Would you mind repeating the steps for this scenario? Starting with which button I should click- "Add" or "Switch" Epic_Workflow.PNG

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 13, 2020

Click on Add worfklow

Then choose Existing workflow

Then find the new one you just created and select it

In the next step you will attach it to the Epic issue type (just that one issue type)

Then click on Publish for the workflow scheme. 

Excellent! I was able to follow your steps using a dev instance/project and it worked. Now I feel better about making this change on the live workflow. Now I'm waiting for after hours to make this change. I'll keep you posted!

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 14, 2020

Great! Glad I could help.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events