What are the most common use cases of data inside of JIRA?

Matt David
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 16, 2021

Hi everyone, I recently joined Atlassian through the Chartio acquisition. I am working on our improved data offering at Atlassian and would love to learn a few things about how you all use data.

• How are you currently using data inside of JIRA?
  • What do you wish you could do with data and JIRA?
  • What hacks have you built to get the insights you need from JIRA?

Would appreciate any thoughts!

1 answer

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2021

Hi Matt - and Welcome!!

I am excited to review Chartio to see what it is all about as I have not used it before. 

Your questions are pretty large ones and might need a lot more thought than I have right now. But left me say this at a high level.

There are far too few canned reports in Jira. And accessing the data through the API is not intuitive and takes a lot of time that I just don't have as an Admin. This is especially true of issue history related things. Things like who changed the status of cards and when. And then related, time in status, true lead time, efficiency, etc. In a nutshell, the kind of info you see in add-ons like Nave and Actionable Agile. 

Also, being able to see things easily grouped on a monthly basis. Let me see the number of issues created per month or closed per month without having to create 12 different filters or 24 different filters. 

That's a quick shot off of the top of my head. 

Again, welcome and we are glad y'all are here!

Matt David
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 16, 2021

Ah yeah slowly changing dimensions are often not stored in an easy way to retrieve. Will keep this in mind as we work.

I had not come across Nave and Actionable Agile yet, these are great references, thank you.

Grouping and segmenting flexibility are key to finding insights, will also keep this in mind as we build the new solution.

Thank you for your feedback!

Like John Funk likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events