What are the main difference in Atlassian Cloud instance to Self hosted cloud instances

Vinod Honnalli August 5, 2020

Hi Team,

I am very much new to architecture of cloud, so i am interested in understanding the differences between Atlassian Cloud and self hosted cloud instances.

Self hosted instance may be AWS or Azure.

Are there any functional or feature differences, since self hosted cloud should be maintained by company's IT teams. so does that allows them to access the application and DB servers ?

In self hosted cloud instances, if applications are insatalled in servers, and DB are maintained in DB server then how they are different from on-premise Jira instances ??

Also, wanted to understand, if i want to migrate Jira server data to Jira cloud instance(self hosted). Does the steps followed are same as Jira Server to Atlassian cloud migration ?

Any help in clarifying my queries will be highly appreciated. !!!

Regards,

Vinod

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 5, 2020

Hi @Vinod Honnalli,

I try to answer your questions. I'll start with your second question:

In self hosted cloud instances, if applications are installed in servers, and DB are maintained in DB server then how they are different from on-premise Jira instances ??

There's no real difference. A self-hosted cloud instance is an on-premise instance which simply runs in another environment - instead of your own it landscape on some cloud provider infrastructure.

Are there any functional or feature differences, since self hosted cloud should be maintained by company's IT teams. so does that allows them to access the application and DB servers ?

This is basically asking the question: Are there differences between the Cloud and Server versions - and yes, there are tons of differences. You can take this summary by Atlassian as a starting point.

Also, wanted to understand, if i want to migrate Jira server data to Jira cloud instance(self hosted). Does the steps followed are same as Jira Server to Atlassian cloud migration ?

Migrating Jira server data to a self-hosted Jira Cloud instance should be way easier because they're technically the same product - so in other words, you simply move your Jira server to another hardware.

I hope that helped a bit.

Cheers,
Matthias.

Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 5, 2020

I believe that the Jira Cloud instances run by Atlassian have a separate code base from the Jira Server and Data Center products. So you can run Jira Server code on your own cloud server, but that doesn't make it work like Jira Cloud

Like Vinod Honnalli likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 5, 2020

Yes, the code bases diverged several years ago. 

Server and Data Center code is identical (we're nearly at a point where you can simply drop a DC licence into a Server install and all the extra DC functionality becomes available because it now thinks it's a single-node cluster!)

Cloud is very different - if nothing else, the framework for 3rd party Apps for Cloud doesn't exist for Server/DC (the plugin system is there in Cloud, but it cannot be used, the apps you can add with it are very limited and controlled by subscription, not install), and Cloud has a load of new architecture, mostly behind the Next-Gen projects.

Like # people like this
Vinod Honnalli August 6, 2020

Hi Guyzz,

Thank you very much for sharing the information, its vastly helping me to understand better.

@Matthias Gaiser _K15t_ since you pointed out "A self-hosted cloud instance is an on-premise instance which simply runs in another environment"

To be more specific, Do you mean i can use "project configurator plugin" to move my project details in server instance to self hosted clound instance ? or should i need to use "jira cloud migration assistant plugin" ?

Final question, 

Since server insatnce is 1 node(n) architecture, Data Center is n+ architecture . what is the logic behind Altassian cloud architecture ?  if it is n+  then, what about self hosted cloud instance, will it be 1 node ?? i really doubt myself. 

Thanks again for spending your valuable time and spreading the knowledge.

Regards,

Vinod

Like Rajesh Viswanathan likes this
Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 6, 2020

Hi @Vinod Honnalli,

yes, in this case, you could use the project configurator plugin to migrate. The Jira Cloud migration assistant is only for migrating from Jira Server to the Atlassian Cloud (not self-hosted).

About your final question - to be honest, I don't know the logic behind Atlassian's cloud infrastructure. But here's the good news: You don't need to care about it because Atlassian is responsible for guaranteeing a fast and reliable environment.
In a self-hosted cloud instance, you can choose yourself if you want to run a Jira Server (with 1 node) or a Jira Data Center (with multiple nodes).

To wrap it up, I prefer calling a self-hosted Jira Cloud instance (in your words) rather a Jira Server or Jira Data Center which runs on cloud infrastructure.

Hope that clarifies it a bit.

Cheers,
Matthias.

Like # people like this
Vinod Honnalli August 6, 2020

Hi @Matthias Gaiser _K15t_ ,

That cleares most of my doubts, thank you very much again. :)

Regards,

Vinod

Like Rajesh Viswanathan likes this
0 votes
Rajesh Viswanathan
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 7, 2021

Thanks for sharing the information its very helpful...

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events