What are acceptable values for the link name field in a json import?

iotim August 23, 2022

I cannot find any good documentation on this.  Some examples have led me to believe the following are acceptable, but I'm mostly curious about the "relates to" option.  

* sub-task-link
* Duplicate
* Blocks

In fact all the docs for the json import are lacking quite a bit: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/importing-data-from-json-938847609.html.  Any help out there?  

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
iotim August 25, 2022

To be complete for anyone else struggling through this, here we go.  

1) The mention I made about the uri/url mix up was unrelated to this post.  It was an issue with importing attachments.  The i and l look so similar.  Don't let that one get you.

2) For next gen projects, this page (shows you issue names and allows you to make your own.  Once I had the issue linking on the correct level of the JSON file, any name seems to work and creates an issue link name.  I preferred not to do that but instead map to the defaults.  

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 23, 2022

Hello @iotim 

Welcome to the community.

It doesn't really matter what you name the fields in the CSV, because when you execute the CSV import process you have to map each of those to a field that exists in Jira. It doesn't matter if the name in your file does not exactly match the name in Jira.

For creating links between issues during the import, what you select during mapping is the Link Relationship. See the "Links & Sub-tasks" section in the image. The options you see there will depend on your instance configuration.

Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 12.19.02 PM.png

And the result is that the issue created by the import gets the Outward Description while the issue you specify in the field gets the Inward Description, as specified in the Issue Links Type page.

https://<yourURL>/secure/admin/ViewLinkTypes!default.jspa

So, for this sample data

Issue Type, Summary, Description, Clones
Story,Test Summary,Test Description,CK-1

...when I map the Clones field to the 'Link "Cloners" ' Jira field, then when viewing the newly created issue I will see that under Links is says "Clones CK-1". And in issue CK-1, it will say "Is cloned by" the newly created issue.

iotim August 23, 2022

I appreciate your reply, but I am importing a JSON file, not CSV.  I found CSV to be lacking in many respects.  Honestly I've tried many combinations, even exactly as the examples show, and I haven't been able to get any linking to occur. 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 23, 2022

Oh, I apologize. I overlooked that you said json in your post title.

I would guess that the names you need to use are the Link Names you would see if you navigated to the Administration (gear icon) page for Issues and looked at the Issue Links for your specific instance.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/configuring-issue-linking-938847862.html

I will have to do some additional research to see if I can work out how this is done. I haven't worked much with JSON importing.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 23, 2022

One other small thing I would point out is the document reference you provided is for Data Center, but your post is tagged as Cloud. Here is the link to the document for Cloud.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/import-data-from-json/

And I'm also guessing that the sourceId and destionationId fields in the links section are referring to the externalId field values in the issues section.

iotim August 23, 2022

Turns out I was using url instead of uri and had it under the project level instead of at the same level. Now it’s working but I didn’t have time to test relation names. I did try “duplicates” which matches the name in the interface so I’ll try the other names as shown in the interface. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events