What am I doing wrong with my issues importing with csv

Naufal Chiadmi June 17, 2021

Hi, community,

I'm seeking some help given that I'm not able to import issues in my existing projects in the cloud from the Jira server.

I have the following permissions:

• Jira Server: Jira Administrators
  • Jira Cloud: Project Administrator

When I try to import issues, the validation process indicates to me that everything is fine, however when I start importing the process suddenly fails to throw an error which description is not as helpful as I want.

2021-06-17 09:23:43,345 INFO - Importer started!
2021-06-17 09:23:43,346 INFO - Engine is running in Import mode
2021-06-17 09:23:43,638 INFO - All issues will be imported to project: Project Name
2021-06-17 09:23:43,661 INFO - Creating issue: [externalId='22110', summary='Issue Name']
2021-06-17 09:23:43,800 ERROR - Fatal error during import: 

I have already asked one of our Jira Administration within the organization and he told me that I already have everything I need to import issues by myself without errors. I'm wondering to have some guidance from the community on what would be the root cause of this and how I need to solve it

2 answers

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 17, 2021

Hello @Naufal Chiadmi 

Welcome to the community.

Are you using the External System Import available to Jira Administrators, or the Issue Import available on the Search Issues screen?

Are you importing to a Team Managed project or a Company Managed project?

Can you provide a sample of the data? To which fields are you trying to import data?

Can you confirm that you have that you are able to create an issue in the destination project through the UI?

hi @Trudy Claspill

I will answer your questions:

1. I'm using the issue import available on the search issue screen coz I don't have Jira Administrator permissions in the Cloud.

2. Yes, I'm importing in a company-managed project

3. I tried to import both all and only required ones and both without success

4. No, I'm not able to create an issue in the destination project through the UI. I've just realized that I can't do it

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 17, 2021

If you don't have sufficient permissions to create an issue through the UI in the destination project, then you will not be able to create issues in that project using the import functionality.

You must have at least Browse Projects and Create Issues permissions in the destination project. Beyond that, a Jira Administrator should be able to use the Permission Helper to figure out what other permissions you need to create an issue.

Naufal Chiadmi June 28, 2021

@Trudy Claspill it was a permissions issue. You were right. Something was missed in my account after migrating from Server to Cloud.

0 votes
Paula Hidalgo June 17, 2021

For the issue type you are creating, do you have any required fields?  You must have a valid value in a required field for the import to be successful.  Your error is similar to the one I see when omit a required field in my CSV file.

No, actually there is no other required fields besides the default ones.

Suggest an answer