Was quick search updated recently?

Brock Jolet May 19, 2023

I have a user that is reporting quick search functionality has changed. I can repeat her examples. Thus, I can verify the current functionality, but I don't know when or why the change would have happened. I don't often find myself using the quick search bar.

She purports that until recently, she could use the quick search bar to type the number of a ticket without specifying the project key, and only issues with that number would appear as suggestions. I have a vague memory of this working as well.

Now when I type, for example, "5856", instead of seeing "SDI-5856", I am given a list of issues as such "WC-1334, SOS-2933, SDI-3747, SC-4840, PDRA-7581, PDD-1912". I don't know what field it is querying as nothing in the short description appears to have the digits "5856".

If I type "5856" and then choose the correct option under "Filter by Project," the first result is the ticket I want to view.

We are also experiencing what appear to be illogical searches based on partial strings. When I search for "automatic" looking for a ticket with the summary "automatic payment," again, I get a list of suggested issues from many projects that do not have the word "automatic" anywhere in the descriptions that appear in the quick search window. 

If I type "automatic" and then choose the correct option under "Filter by Project," the first result is the ticket I want to view.

Looking at the official documentation (https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver/quick-searching-939938728.html), Atlassian includes this line:

In many cases, you do not even need to type in the full key, but just the numerical part. If you are currently working on the 'ABC' project, and you type in '123', you will be redirected to 'ABC-123'.

This no longer appears to be true. (The documentation is for Jira Server, but we are on Jira Cloud.)

So did this change recently? If so, why?

What fields is it prioritizing over the issue key and issue summary?

2 answers

1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2023

Hello @Brock Jolet 

Here is the documentation for Quick Search in Jira Cloud:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/perform-a-quick-search/

By default the Quick Search will search the Summary and Description fields for the text you enter. That are keywords you can use in the Quick Search field to refine your search to look at other fields.

I find that when I type in a number it will search for that number in Summary and Description. It may also bring up an issue with that number in the issue key if it is an issue I have viewed recently.

If you want to search for recent changes to the functionality you could review the Blog posts that Atlassian publishes each week for changes released to the Cloud products.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/blog/2023

Brock Jolet May 22, 2023

Thank you for your helpful links.

I've done some testing, and it seems that no matter what string I search, it prioritizes items that I have opened recently. I typed in the first four words of an issue summary, and Jira still listed nine other issues before the one that matched exactly.

Also, I don't know why the cloud search wouldn't search for a key when a number is typed in, as the documentation shows the server version will do.

For issues, your search will only show results from the Summary and Description text fields.

Luckily, I don't use the quick search often, but I can see why my users are frustrated.

0 votes
April Chi
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 9, 2023

Hey @brock ,

Hope you're well and thanks for posting this! 

Now when I type, for example, "5856", instead of seeing "SDI-5856", I am given a list of issues as such "WC-1334, SOS-2933, SDI-3747, SC-4840, PDRA-7581, PDD-1912". I don't know what field it is querying as nothing in the short description appears to have the digits "5856".

The only thing we have fixed is the following: previously, if you search a number and the issue key doesn't exist, it'll redirect you to a no permissions page. This was the ticket here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-80075. Number searching should still work correctly so what you stated should still show the correct results. 

Are you searching in quick search or are you typing this in quick search, then pressing ENTER to go to advanced search?

We are also experiencing what appear to be illogical searches based on partial strings. When I search for "automatic" looking for a ticket with the summary "automatic payment," again, I get a list of suggested issues from many projects that do not have the word "automatic" anywhere in the descriptions that appear in the quick search window. 

If I type "automatic" and then choose the correct option under "Filter by Project," the first result is the ticket I want to view.

Is this a new finding i.e. you've searched 'automatic' before and the results are different now? Asking because this may be a known problem with quick search relevancy. The description or summary (title) should have the word 'automatic'. Are you able to double check? We're looking at adding excerpts and highlights to make it clearer, would this help? 

Also are you comfortable sharing some screenshots so I can help you more? Otherwise, happy to have a chat, I'm looking to understand how customers search and how we can improve relevancy. Would be great to catch up on this over a call if you're interested :) 

Brock Jolet July 10, 2023

Hello @April Chi ,

I'm still seeing the same results as my post above. I wouldn't mind sharing screenshots, but not on a public forum. If you would like to start an email conversation, that would be great.

As for if this is new behavior, my associate claims it is, but I don't often use that search functionality so I can't say for sure. 

April Chi
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 11, 2023

Hey @Brock Jolet ,

Thanks for the response! Yeah, no worries, can you book in a time to have a quick ~30 min chat here so I can see?

Otherwise send the images to achi@atlassian.com and I'll respond there :)

Thank you!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events