Wants to create automation for tickets Assigning tickets to particular person..!

Rakesh April 24, 2023

Hi Guys,

I'm Currently looking for the Jira Automation feature for my project board. Wants to create a rule to assign the Un assigned tickets to the particular person. If ticket arriving time  belongs to India time then it should assigned to the India team or If time belongs to US then it will assigned to US Team admin.

Can you guide me on that above Query. If you guys has any manual about automation also its fine for me

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2023

Hello @Rakesh 

Here is the home page for information on Automation for Jira.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/automate-your-jira-cloud-processes-and-workflows/

When do you want the ticket to be checked to see if it is unassigned? Should that happen immediately after the ticket is created?

It should be possible to parse the Created date/time field to extract the time portion of the information, then compare it to values to determine if that time falls within India hours or US hours. How are you defining those time ranges?

Rakesh April 26, 2023

Hi @Trudy Claspill  it should be assigned immediately to the person once the ticket arrives in our queue.

We can create a rule Right...? From that rule we will place a timings stats everything over there.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2023

Hello Rakesh,

If you want the change to be made right after the issue is created then you would start your rule with the Issue Created trigger.

You would next add an Issue Fields Condition to confirm that the Assignee field is empty.

Do you want this rule to run against all issue types in your project? If not, then you could add another Issue Fields Condition to specify the types of issues you want the rule to run against.

There are a variety of functions you can use with a date/time fields to compare one such value to another, but none of those look at only the time portion. The comparison includes the date portion also. 

https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-smart-values-date-and-time/#--

The date/time information is stored as UTC, not as the time zone you set as the User Default or the time zone you set in your own account preferences. Keep that in mind when you are evaluating the Created date/time to figure out if the time is during India or US hours.

Here's an example. The issue this rule rant against was created at 1:55 pm (UTC -7:00). When I use a Log action in the rule to print out the Created date/time information, notice that it shows the time portion as 20:55.

Screen Shot 2023-04-26 at 7.41.44 AM.png

What are the time windows you want to use for India time and US time? Can you express those to us in terms of UTC?

There is probably more than one way to look at the Created time to determine which time window it is in. In the next step you want to get the Time portion of the Created date/time field because you care only about the time portion. There are probably a variety of ways to accomplish that.

I think I would parse the Created date/time data without selecting a specific format, so that the time would be in UTC as shown above. To do this I would first assign the value to a variable. That would convert it to a text string because all variable values are formatted as text strings.

Screen Shot 2023-04-26 at 7.56.53 AM.png

Then to get just the time portion I would use text functions to remove the time zone information at the end (+0000) and then pull out the portion of the string after the "T". I would assign that to a variable also.

If this is the Created date/time value: 2023-04-24T20:55:12.1+0000

Then this step would give you the value 20:55:12.1

Screen Shot 2023-04-26 at 8.00.14 AM.png

You could then use a Condition / If-Else to compare that value to the UTC values that represent your time window. Let us say that your India time window is 9 am to 9 pm India time. That would be 3:30 am UTC to 3:30 pm UTC

Screen Shot 2023-04-26 at 8.06.36 AM.pngScreen Shot 2023-04-26 at 8.07.11 AM.png

The above checks if the time is in the India time window. If it is then you would assign the issue to the India person. Otherwise you would assign it to the US person. In my example below you would put the Assign Issue actions where I pointed. I just used a Log action in the example to log a message to the rule Audit Log.

Screen Shot 2023-04-26 at 8.09.34 AM.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events