It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Want my Kanban Board Issues sorted by due date per Column Edited

Rich Winterstetter Mar 22, 2018

Hi all,

I have a small problem and don't want to annoy support as I feel it is probably a lack of understanding on my part, so maybe you guys can help me out.

I want to display my tasks in the Kanban Board ranked by due date (meaning, the one with the most recent due date is on top etc.) for every column.

I already tried a quick filter "ORDER BY duedate ASC" which does precisely nothing and a separate Swimlane "ORDER BY duedate ASC" which also does not rearrange the tasks.

However the quick filter "type = "all" ORDER BY duedate ASC" ranks the tasks in the desired order, but only shows tasks of a certain task-type while leaving out all other task types.

We're running a Jira Cloud version if that is important for you guys.

Anyone who can help me? I'd appreciate it a lot! Thanks in Advance

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andrew Heinzer Atlassian Team Mar 27, 2018

Jira Software boards are governed by the board filter.  This determines what issues appear and in what order.

By default Jira Software will try to always use the Rank field as a means to order these.  At the moment you can't technically rank issues by another field other than a rank type field.

BUT, you can order the issues on the board to be displayed by another field.  To do this, you would need to either edit the existing board's filter, or it might be easier to first create a new filter (such as just "Order by due date asc", then save this filter), and then create a new board based on that saved jql filter.

The major thing to note about doing this:

You won't be able to order the issues by their Rank, nor can you change the rank of issues just by dragging/dropping them on the backlog or active view.   And you won't be able to change the Due Date just by dragging and dropping the issues.

But you can still execute transitions by dragging/dropping the issues into other columns, just as you would on a board using the rank field to order the issues.

This might not be the functionality you are looking for.  If you were wanting to be able to change the Due date value just by dragging and dropping, like you would with rank on a rank ordered board, I don't think this is going to work.   With a field type like date, there are many possible values and you probably want it to be an explicit date.  Whereas the Rank field has a value, but the end user almost never needs to know what that actual value is.  Since ranking in Jira can change that value during a rebalance, it's value is really only important in relation to other issues rank values.

Is this helpful? not helpful?   Tell us more about your use case.  Maybe we can find an alternative solution here.

Rich Winterstetter Mar 27, 2018

Thanks, that helps me out a lot. 

Andrew Heinzer Atlassian Team Mar 28, 2018

Cool, glad to hear that helps.  Let me know if you have any follow up concerns.  If this answer solved your issue, please click the checkmark to the left of my answer to accept this answer. 

Suggest an answer

This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

How to prevent the propagation of unused project schemes, workflows & screens in Jira software

Atlassian ranks project attributes as the third most important factor impacting performance in the category of data. It’s not surprising, since project attributes are precisely the rules used to ma...

1,307 views 1 16
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you