WARN: Establishing SSL connection without server's identity verification is not recommended

Антон_Воробьв February 22, 2019

In the default instalation jira-core I see in log catalina.out next:

WARN: Establishing SSL connection without server's identity verification is not recommended. According to MySQL 5.5.45+, 5.6.26+ and 5.7.6+ requirements SSL connection must be established by default if explicit option isn't set. For compliance with existing applications not using SSL the verifyServerCertificate property is set to 'false'. You need either to explicitly disable SSL by setting useSSL=false, or set useSSL=true and provide truststore for server certificate verification.

In which configuration file to register the option "useSSL= alse"?

4 answers

0 votes
kevin June 15, 2023

These answers are all about how to modify dbconfig.xml

But my question was thrown when I initialized the page.

At this time, the dbconfig.xml file has not been generated. 

I tried to create the dbconfig.xml file manually.

Still can't pass the verification of initialization page.

0 votes
王林林 September 13, 2022

After adding useSSL, it does not take effect. Is there an updated processing method

0 votes
Michael Aglas March 31, 2020

except that warning is there any degredation of the tool? a functionality not working or so?

Richard Cross June 25, 2020

If you get that warning during the setup phase, it won't proceed to configure the database, which is a pretty severe degradation of functionality.   ;-)

Like # people like this
0 votes
Антон_Воробьв February 22, 2019

edit config - /var/atlassian/application-data/jira/dbconfig.xml

in line 

<url>jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/jiradb?useUnicode=true&amp;useSSL=false&amp;characterEncoding=UTF8&amp;sessionVariables=default_storage_engine=InnoDB</url>

add useSSL=false&amp;

Nirmani K August 21, 2019
Omar Malavé November 2, 2019

Hi @Nirmani K add it at the end of the url

warm qing February 11, 2020

<url> jdbc:mysql:// address =(protocol = tcp)(host = 127.0.0.1)(port = 3306)/ jira?sessionVariables = default_storage_engine = InnoDB useSSL = false&amp </ url>

Is it here ?

Richard Cross June 25, 2020

But what if you're getting this error while attempting to set up Jira and connect it to a database for the first time?

Like # people like this
Benmway July 3, 2020

@Richard Cross I have the same issue when starting jira 8.10 with mysql 5.7. Where you able to fix this?

Richard Cross July 3, 2020

Only by ditching MySQL 5.7 and using PostgreSQL instead.  :-)

Varma Gadiraju October 30, 2020

You need to add "useSSL=false&amp;" this parameters in the dbconfig file.

Example: <url>jdbc:mysql://localhost:3003/jiradatabase?useUnicode=true&amp;"---ADD HERE---"characterEncoding=UTF8&amp;sessionVariables=default_storage_engine=InnoDB</url>

Like Parvaneh Zand likes this
Derek Mart November 4, 2020

MySQL - 5.7.31 / mysql-connector-java-5.1.48

Added (useSSL=false) in the connector url:

<url>jdbc:mysql://address=(useSSL=false)(protocol=tcp)...

Like Jürgen Backhaus likes this

Suggest an answer