View Story Points by User

Calvin Hawkes October 22, 2021

Hello!

As many scrum teams, we use story point estimations for our tasks. As the scrum master, I want to make sure story points are evenly distributed among the team at the beginning of the sprint.

Is there an easy way to check how many story points are assigned to each person before initiating the sprint? It would be annoying to have to manually scroll through each tickets and add up the total...

2 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

4 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 22, 2021

>As the scrum master, I want to make sure story points are evenly distributed among the team at the beginning of the sprint.

Er, actually, no.  As a scrum master, you want to make sure that the team knows what they need to achieve during the sprint and you are there to enable them to do it.  Story points are not a factor to consider when the team is selecting which item to do next, or who within the team is going to deal with it.

So, no, there's no reporting on "Story Points per person" because Jira Software's Scrum boards are a Scrum tool, and that's not scrum.

The best you can do is a simple search for "sprint = x", and as you say, scroll through the issues and add up the story points.

AJ Mieskolainen September 7, 2022

Story points are not a factor to consider when the team is selecting which item to do next, or who within the team is going to deal with it.

This may be true in your utopian view of scrum, but let's not pretend that story points aren't an indicator of personal performance or helpful measure of productivity, and that having a view of story points assigned/completed per person would be helpful to certain people.

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 19, 2022

Unfortunately, no.  If you're using them as a measure of performance or productivity, then you're a) not using them correctly and b) micromanaging

You should stop doing that immediately.

Like # people like this
Murilo Zilli October 18, 2023

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- do you have any suggestion for individual performance reporting other than that within jira or is this something that you think its irrelevant? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 18, 2023

@Murilo Zilli - I can only recommend that you do not try to do it.  Micromanagement is a huge problem in so many places, it does not work.

If you have a problem with a team member not performing, the rest of the team should recognise that, they don't need reports or blame, they will see it.  And hopefully simply help.

Like Jose Branco likes this
Murilo Zilli October 18, 2023

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- not talking about micromanaging anyone, just tracking individual performance. Usually a leader would want and need data to understand performance other than just a feeling. You'd also expect different levels of productivity based on how senior someone is within a team, it's hard to measure those things if you don't have any data to support other than a feeling. Even harder as your team grows bigger, very easy to lose track.

Like Derek Darby likes this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 18, 2023

Yes, and...I suggest taking a look at Kent Beck's new writings as he develops his book, Software Design: Tidy First, particularly the impacts of using agile delivery measures to assess people performance, team and individual.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 19, 2023

@Murilo Zilli - measuring individual performance against estimates absolutely is micromanagement.  The team should be working together, not having someone dictate what each individual is doing.

Like Jose Branco likes this
5 votes
Paul Tidwell September 6, 2022

Screenshot 2022-09-06 101229.png

On the planning view (where you have the backlog on the bottom and the new sprint at the top), there are three dots next to the list participants icons.  Click the three dots and it shows the number of issues and the number of story points per participants.  Very useful!

Paulina October 19, 2022

I can't see the users assigned to the sprint in the backlog view. I can see three dots, but the only options I have are sprint editing and sprint deleting. Any idea why? Could you help me with that? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 19, 2022

Users are not assigned to sprints directly.  You have to infer who is executing the sprint from the information that they are in the team that the board is owned by.

Paulina October 19, 2022

I wanted to say that I can't see the Backlog view, as it is shown on the screenshot from Paul, so that I can't see the number of story points per participants. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 19, 2022

Ah, ok.  Why can't you see the backlog?  Do you not have permissions to use the board?

Paulina October 20, 2022

I can see the backlog, but I can't see this element related with the users and the dots. backlog.png

Like marc reynolds likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 20, 2022

Ok, those quick filters are automatically created on certain types of board.  I would guess that you are using a different type of board where you can create your own and are not limited to just assignee filters.

Aayushi Mittal September 11, 2023

How do I check how many story points were completed in each sprint by each user? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 11, 2023

Please read the other answer given above.

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events