Velocity chart not showing correct value (Committed & Completed) properly in jira data center

Vartharajan Balaiah-External May 17, 2022

Hi All,

In the velocity chart my sprint time tracking value committed & completed not showing the correct estimate hours. Please let me know how to resolve this issue

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Could you explain what you think is not correct?  (Where you are seeing it, why you think it is wrong, etc)

Vartharajan Balaiah-External May 18, 2022

I have created stories along with estimation 

estimated 3d -then pulled started the sprint

and logged 1 d

Closed the issue and moved the resolution status to "Done" but when i run the velocity chart committed and completed the same 3d

Whatever committed value same as completed also. Please help.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2022

Please don't say "resolution status", it's nonsense in Jira-speak because resolution and status are two totally independent things.  Or you might even mean the name of the "Done" column?

Vartharajan Balaiah-External May 19, 2022

Yes Done Column. Is there any way to achieve this.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 19, 2022

OK, great.

So I think you've missed the point of what the Velocity chart does.  It tells you what you have completed against what you completed.

How much work you actually did on a story is irrelevant to burn-down.  You completed a story estimated at 3d so you get marked as having completed a 3d estimate.  It doesn't matter to your velocity whether you took 1d or 6d to do it, you said you'd do it in 3d and you delivered.

The 1d is useful to know - in your sprint retrospective, it should be prompting a discussion on why it was over-estimated, but it's not a problem, and it's nothing to do with the burn-down.

Vartharajan Balaiah-External May 19, 2022

This does not help us. Other projects Committed and completed value show correctly. only this project having this issue. 

When i checked the workflow of the project.  I can see transition from closed status. There might be issue i guess.

Please advise

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 19, 2022

Um, no, this project is not having an issue, it is working properly.  You burn down the whole sprint estimate, not the work you have done towards it.

Could you be using the wrong estimation statistic on your board?

Suggest an answer