Velocity Chart Question

Kristen Viscardi April 26, 2019

Hi,

I have a question about commitment totals on the Velocity chart. I read that after the sprint has started, any stories added to the sprint, or any changes made to estimates, will not be included in this total. 

What about other items in particular stories that are removed from the sprint? How is the chart designed to behave because my totals are off. 

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 29, 2019

HI Kristen,

The commitment portion of the velocity report refers to how much work was in the Sprint when the sprint was started or items added throughout the life of the sprint as scope creep (items added after the start of sprint).  Commitment works off the Total of the "Original Estimate" field of the issues in the sprint.

Does this line up with what you are seeing and if not to get a better understanding of how the report is off can you possibly give a screenshot of the data (noting this is a public forum so block out any sensitive information) and where your seeing the discrepancy and some details on the original estimate field of the issues in that sprint so we can try to narrow it down.

Regards,
Earl

Kristen Viscardi May 3, 2019

We are not using the original estimate field. Is this a must?

Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 3, 2019

Hi Kristen,

My apologies on any confusion there.  It's the sum of the estimation statistic type your using on the board  The options are "Original Story points", "Original Time Estimate", "Story points", or "issue count" so its the Original value in the "Estimate" field used by that statistic so if your using story points for the estimate its a Sum of the story points in the Estimate field at the time the sprint starts.

As an exe to trigger a discrepancy on the following screenshot using story points as the estimation statistic:

1. I added 3 issues to the first sprint 1 story point each
  2. Completing all 3 gives 3 committed and 3 completed
  3. The second sprint had 4 issue with 1 point added on 3 of the issues but no points on the 4th
  4. Started the sprint
  5.  I added a point to the 4th issue after starting the sprint so there were 3 committed at the time of the sprint starting but 4 completed indicating the difference from the commitment when the sprint started to actual completed indicating scope creep occurred.

Screen Shot 2019-05-03 at 2.24.16 PM.png

What are you seeing, and what estimation statistic is being used on your board?  This setting is located under the Board dropdown >> Configure >> Estimation.

Regards,
Earl

Suggest an answer