Using status change automation in a workflow with two transitions to a status

Sigrid Schoepel November 18, 2020

I have an automation that is supposed to copy some fields when an issue is created if the linked issue (where it's getting cloned from) is in a certain project. I think there's a timing problem where the link isn't present at the time the rule gets run so the fields aren't copying.

Now I'm trying to create an automation that says if the issue transitions from status A to status B then create an issue in a different project and copy fields. BUT, I have two transitions from A to B (already in development/send to development). Only in one of those transitions should the automation run. I cannot figure out how to find the actual transition option, not just the change in status.

Do I have to redo everything (workflow and automation) or is there a way to find the actual transition used and apply it to an automation rule?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 18, 2020

Hi @Sigrid Schoepel 

Regarding the first rule you note and the timing issues, there are definitely race-track conditions in the automation rules due to the asychronous processing, particularly after the create issue trigger.

One work-around I use is to put a Re-fetch action immediately after the trigger.  It does slow the rule down a bit, but it helps to give the issue a chance to fully load before you try to use it.

Best regards,

Bill

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 18, 2020

Hi Sigrid,

Maybe you could add a Condition before the transition to check for the same type of conditions you have on the two different transitions to B.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events