Using insights in software

Dave Bosman _Realdolmen_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 19, 2021

Hi,

Since Insights is not sold seperately anymore but part of the premium license in Cloud i have a question. 

If you have a cloud environment with Jira Service Management and Jira Software and you give a user a license only for Software, would he be able to use Insights? 

Regards

Dave

4 answers

1 vote
Dave Bosman _Realdolmen_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 28, 2021

So, we finally have some licenses for both Software and JSM and it seems that if you do not have a license for JSM you are unable to access insight with only a software license.

Amr Hamza June 23, 2021

Hey @Dave Bosman _Realdolmen_ ,

Thanks for sharing this feedback. I just have couple questions and maybe you could help. So a user who has only Jira Software license won't be able to access Insight schemes. Not even as read only? How about selecting objects in an Insight custom field?

Thanks in advance.

0 votes
Matteo Vecchiato September 11, 2022
0 votes
Amr Hamza June 24, 2021

Ok, just to add more details to @Dave Bosman _Realdolmen_ answer, here are my findings after testing:

A user with a non-JSM license:

• can be set in an insight attribute
  • cannot see Insight in the top bar
  • can update Insight field in a SD portal create issue screen
  • cannot see Insight field in a create issue screen in neither JSM nor non-JSM projects
  • can see Insight field in a view issue screen in JSM as well as non-JSM projects 
  • cannot edit Insight field in an issue in neither JSM nor non-JSM projects 

A user with a JSM license:

• can see and update Insight field in non-JSM projects
0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2021

Hi Dave,

Just guess here, but I would assume it works like Opsgenie and you have to have a JSM license. Insights is probably considered a part of the ITSM package. 

Dave Bosman _Realdolmen_
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 19, 2021

Hi John,

On one hand i would think you are right. 

But on the other hand, in the past, when it was just a plugin, it worked for all users (JSM & software).

If you are correct then it will be very expensive to use the functionality in some cases because all users that need to use it need a JSM license now, even if they are not JSM agents. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2021

But if it was a plugin - they were paying for it separate anyway  :-)

So not sure how much the cost will go up. For us, it will be no increase at all. Our Insight users already have JSM Agent licenses and we are on Premium.  :-)

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 29, 2021

@Dave Bosman _Realdolmen_  - Yes, I would imagine that Insight would be like Opsgenie, requiring you to have a JSM Agent license for access.

Suggest an answer