Using Jira with Waterfall and Agile methodology!

najme esmaili September 4, 2018

Hi everyone,

I am Najme, product manager of a company.
I am working with 3 different teams, 1 is completely remote, 1 is in-house and the other one is partially remote. This structure makes it more difficult to have 1 single spring while defiantly there are too many dependencies.
What we are planning to do is to have 1 single sprint but each team works on a different time zone. For a better understanding please see below picture:

1 week sprint using waterfall-teams.jpg

As you can see what we have used is a mix of waterfall and agile methodology. 

So if the design team is working on Dev+1 the development will be working on Dev and the test team will work on Dev-1.
Our sprint is a 1-week length.
My problem is how to map this structure in Jira?
Some might say to have a designed workflow, but since the length of the sprint is 1 week and the time zone is 3 different time zones, then with a design workflow I am not able to close the sprint after 1 week and it will take up to 3 weeks.
What I was thinking is to use different sprints for each team but then another problem will arise, how can I use the outcome of one sprint as a backlog in another sprint?
Is there any way we can simply solve this issue?
I am looking for an answer for almost 3 days, but nothing!
Can you please help me? An external view might be actually more considering other aspects.
Thanks in advance.

Najme

1 answer

0 votes
Cristian Rosas [Tecnofor]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 4, 2018

You can use 3 projects and use a board with a filter with the 3 projects, and there you can have your own sprints for every team

using 3 projects is what we can do but as you can ready main issue is the following:
A complete task in one sprint is actually a to-do task in another sprint. 
I wanted to avoid reopening a sprint. 
It seems I have to duplicate a task and move it into another sprint. 

Cristian Rosas [Tecnofor]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 4, 2018

But in 1 project the issue is the same unless you make a workflow like this:

Open1 - WIP1 - Done1 - Open2 - WIP2 - Done2 - Open3 - WIP3 - Done3

Being 1 and 2 and 3 the statuses only for different teams.

I would suggest to make 3 different boards to control the sprints in different project and a common board or dashboard to all of the teams to see what is going on in every moment they need.

Yes, that is what I am doing right now! but I am looking for a better-optimized way!

Thanks again

Suggest an answer