Using Jira with Microsoft Teams

Justin Wood July 27, 2021

We are new starters to using Jira here at SurreyCC and I was interested in how others have used Jira and Microsoft Teams together ? 

What have be the pro's and cons of using the two together ? 

Any info would be appreciated. 

5 answers

8 votes
Patrick Schüßler _yasoon_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 28, 2021

Hi @Justin Wood ,

I hope you had a great week so far.

While Microsoft Teams is a communication and collaboration platform, Jira is a tool to plan, track and report any type of project. You can also cover your IT Service Management with Jira.

The integration of both tools enables smooth workflows and faster coordination within the teams - no matter what tool they prefer to use.

If you want to use features of MS365 (especially Microsoft Teams) in combination with Jira, we (yasoon) offer a dedicated integration for that, called Microsoft 365 for Jira

You can add the functionality of Microsoft 365 (Office 365) to Jira and vice versa:

• Start a chat or channel conversation within Jira (see all discussions documented in the issue)
  • Add a Jira issue to a Microsoft Teams channel to triage and discuss tickets together.
  • Link any Microsoft Teams conversation to your Jira issue
  • Create a new Jira issue based on the Microsoft Teams conversation
  • Create support tickets from Microsoft Teams via JSM customer portal
  • Join issue-related conversations via Teams without needing a Jira user

And there are even more features, like the integration of Outlook email, Outlook meetings and Microsoft To Do (currently available for Jira Cloud) with Jira. 

This demo videos show a great use case of Microsoft 365 fort Jira:

Demo: Microsoft 365 for Jira – IT project management use case

Demo: Microsoft 365 for Jira – IT service management

If you have any questions, you can book a free demo.

Cheers,

Patrick

JudeLabs December 13, 2021

Can you create a Jira ticket from a comment in a word 360 document?

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 12, 2022

Hi @JudeLabs ,

Thanks for asking. No that's not possible. We have focused on integrating Jira with Microsoft Teams and Outlook in our development. 

Best, 
Patrick

4 votes
Move Work Forward
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 28, 2021

Hi @Justin Wood 

Excellent question.

Feel free to schedule a video call with us to discuss this further - https://www.moveworkforward.com/microsoft-teams-atlassian-consultation

Overall, the goals of integrating Microsoft Teams and Jira are:

- simplify workflows

- reduce context switching and notification noise

- don't miss important updates in Jira

- be more proactive

But it really depends on what your team wants to archive. I invite you for a chat https://www.moveworkforward.com/microsoft-teams-atlassian-consultation

We do have an App for this integration, but I don't want to recommend you anything before understanding your problems and requirements.

Regards,
Leo

Benjamin Thomas May 30, 2022

The Jira > Teams integration works really well to remove the 'back-channels' some tickets end up getting raised, but I do have a question.

If the Teams user does not have a Jira license, can this integration still be used? 

For context, only tech teams have Jira licenses in our org, however queries may come through from vastly more non-Jira native users.

Move Work Forward
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 30, 2022

Hi,

If you want to have a 2-way integration @Benjamin Thomas you do need 2 licences (Teams and Jira).

There is no app that allows you to map multiple Teams users and one Jira user. And it is not a good practice in general.

I suggest to schedule a video call to discuss your requirements in details -> https://www.moveworkforward.com/schedule-a-demo

Regards,
Leo

Benjamin Thomas May 31, 2022

Thanks Leo,

I gathered this was the case and am currently looking at alternative solutions. Thanks for the offer of a call but all ok thank you

Have a good one

0 votes
Efrat Barak Zadok July 20, 2023

Hi,
Though I am able to create jira tickets from the Teams channels - 
I would like to create a jira ticket in my Service Desk project from a Chat in Teams. 
Is that possible? How?
chat.jpg
teams-chat.jpg

Rising Star
Rising Star
July 24, 2023

Hi @Efrat Barak Zadok 

it's only possible for service agents to create support tickets from a chat in Microsoft Teams. 
You can do this with Jira Cloud for Microsoft Teams by Atlassian or with Microsoft 365 for Jira - Outlook Email, Teams, Calendar by yasoon

Just select the message you want to turn into a ticket, select the JSM project and fill out the fields.                                                                              2023-07-24_10h59_49.png

Please note, that I work for yasoon.                                                          

Let me know, if you have any further questions. 

Thank you,
Patrick

0 votes
nhowell May 3, 2023
0 votes
Sheri Widler December 12, 2022

Question:  With the send email from jira and that email and any reply is linked to teh jira ticket, is that link forever or do you have to manually attach the emails into the jira ticket for historical purposes?  we are using this for audit documentation and dont want it to expire. 

Rising Star
Rising Star
December 12, 2022

Hi @Sheri Widler 

Not sure if the question refers to our app. If so, here comes the answer 😊
When sending out an email from Jira, this email and all future replies will be linked automatically with the related ticket. There is also the possibility to unlink certain emails manually. 
Let me know if you have any further questions. 

Best, 
Patrick

Like # people like this
Sheri Widler December 13, 2022

Thanks I just wanted to make sure this would be a permanent link for history purposes.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events