Using Jira automation, how do I copy the fix version from the parent epic to a newly created card

Joel G April 13, 2020

Using Automation for Jira, I want to be able to pull the Fix Version(s) from the parent epic to the newly created card.  To accomplish this, I created an automation with a single condition, and a single action.  The rule is for a specific project, and the card created is the same project as the epic.  The rule executes without error, but then I don't see any changes to the card.  My configuration is:

• Condition: When Issue created
  • Action: Edit issue fields
    • More Options
      • Additional fields
        • {
          "fields": {
          "fix Versions":[{{#issue.epic.latest.fix Versions}}{{name}} {{/}}]
          }
          }

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Hazwan Ariffin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 13, 2020

I believe this would work

Screenshot 2020-04-14 at 8.41.41 AM.pngI created an epic and set a fix version

Screenshot 2020-04-14 at 8.44.11 AM.png

So if I create an issue under this epic, the fix version will be copied from the epic's fix version

giphy

Joel G April 14, 2020

I should have started by saying that I'd already tried that method, but turns out it is useful that I didn't, because it points me a little closer to the problem.

When I setup the configuration you suggested, it works as long as I'm adding the new issue from the epic card itself, or from the backlog board.  

The problem I have is that I'm actually adding them from Portfolio, and this setup doesn't work in that situation.  Any ideas how to correct to make it work from there?

Hazwan Ariffin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 14, 2020

Ah. That's right. In Portfolio, when you create a story under an epic, it's not really creating a ticket under an epic. It's actually creating a ticket first then it updates to the epic. 

Screenshot 2020-04-15 at 8.11.32 AM.pngSo, in this case, you would need to modify your automation to something like this

Screenshot 2020-04-15 at 8.26.41 AM.png

What this does is that it would copy the fix version of the Epic issue when the story issue's epic link is updated. It would follow the fix version of the new epic link.

giphy

Joel G April 15, 2020

And that solves it.  Thank you!

Suggest an answer