Using Jira Automation to send list of issues

Allison April 30, 2021

I am looking for some help with the Jira Automation, bulk send and Lookupissues features.

I've tried every suggestion in this thread (https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Sending-an-email-with-a-list-of-issues-using-Automation-for-Jira/qaq-p/1192501), but my list always comes up empty, even though there are 10 issues that are found when I run the audit log.

Here are screenshots of my rule--any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
AllisonScreenshot from 2021-04-30 15-36-18.pngScreenshot from 2021-04-30 15-36-05.png

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 30, 2021

Hi @Allison  -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Noticing that you are on Jira Server, the Lookup Issues action is not available there...it is a Cloud feature.

Your equivalent for Server is {{issues}}  Please note the plural.  The syntax will be basically the same as the recommendations to use Lookup Issues, just substitute in {{issues}}

Please look here for an example:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/automation/bulk-handling-of-issues-993924653.html#Bulkhandlingofissues-exampleExample:Sendinganemailwithalistofissues

https://confluence.atlassian.com/automation/smart-values-993924860.html#Smartvalues-issuesissues

Best regards,

Bill

Allison April 30, 2021

YES! This worked! Thank you SO much, Bill!

I really appreciate the help! 

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Allison April 30, 2021

This is a gamechanger!

Lakshmi Ummalaneni May 31, 2023

Hi @Bill Sheboy,

This worked on my requirement. Thanks much for the solution.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 31, 2023

Hi @Lakshmi Ummalaneni 

I am glad to learn that helped.  And...the Atlassian team appears to be working on adding the Lookup Issues action for the Server/Data Center, so that will make this scenario easier to complete in the future.  You may watch here to see their progress: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JIRAAUTOSERVER-53

Kind regards,
Bill

1 vote
Juan Manuel Ibarra
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 30, 2021

Hi Allison, as it says in the answer from the https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Sending-an-email-with-a-list-of-issues-using-Automation-for- Jira / qaq-p / 1192501, to do something like this it is simpler and more tedious to create a filter in jira with that JQL, choose the custom fields you need and create a subscription to send the result by mail

Anyway, if you still prefer to do it with automation, the lookupissues variable will come empty unless you first use a action of type "Lookup issues"

Captura de Pantalla 2021-04-30 a la(s) 17.54.01.png

Regards!

Allison April 30, 2021

Hi Juan,

Thanks for sharing this. How did you get to the lookup issues variable set up? I'm not seeing it on my end at first glance.

Thanks!

Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 30, 2021

To answer that question - this Lookup Issues action is where you define the query that {{lookupissues}} is aware of later in the rule.  When you use this action, the payload in your send-email action gets sent the data from the query.

This query can be regular JQL, or it can be a mix of JQL and {{smartvalues}} - but if you use smart values, you can't use the little "validate query" function you can see in the corner of the above screenshot.

chrome_2021-04-30_17-13-13.png

0 votes
Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 30, 2021

removing my answer - Juan's comment is correct. You'll need to add a lookupissues step first

Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 30, 2021

This btw - is designed for Slack messages - so I'm not sure if it will give you any weird results - but the formatting might help you along.

Allison April 30, 2021

Thanks, Chris! Unfortunately, same result with this text. I appreciate the assist!

Like Chris Buzon likes this
Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 30, 2021

(one more note - in the screenshots you can still clearly make out your full name and email. the paint isn't thick enough!)

Allison April 30, 2021

Woops! A for effort. Thank you! I will replace!

Like Chris Buzon likes this

Suggest an answer