• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Using Advanced Roadmaps for Individual capacity planning

We have a client that uses AR.

They have teams that constantly change and need to see the individual capacity for current and future projects.

The only way I can think of doing this is by creating individual teams per member.  This would mean creating 80 teams if this gets rolled out to the rest of the organisation.  I don't think it's a good idea as it seems very complicated.

Questions:

• Can this be done using AR if teams are not really working in teams? 
  • What is the best way to do this without hacking AR and overcomplicating it?
  • What alternatives are there?

Any inputs will be appreciated.

Regards,

Juan

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Dave Atlassian Team Mar 10, 2021

Hi @Juan Du Toit ,

Thanks for raising this question.... I'm on the Advanced Roadmaps team and I can let you know that this is something that we're looking into in detail at the moment. So although I'm unfortunately not able to give you any great solutions at the moment, any insights you can provide into the various use cases and you and your client's experience would be incredibly valuable.

The workaround that you're suggesting (one person teams) is actually something that we know people do and arguably works but is obviously not an idea solution. We believe that there is a strong appetite for some kind of individual capacity management but there are concerns about providing tooling that might be used against an individual (i.e. saying that person A does more than person B - even though there might be perfectly valid reasons for doing so such as the experience, working hours or contribution across multiple teams).

In order to address team based fluctuations in capacity we have provided a way in which you can adjust the velocity of future sprints (i.e. to account for absences or people joining or leaving a team) but ultimately that relies on the user to actually calculate the velocity to enter.

It would be interesting to understand what types of individual capacity settings are required here, i.e. is this for time or points based capacity, are you looking to account for planned absences (like vacation), increase in capacity over time (to account for individual development), planned secondments into or out of the team, split team contributions (reducing the contribution to each team) or specifically setting the velocity of an individual.

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for getting back to me in such a timely manner! 

Let me work with my client to provide you with more information. Will you be interested in having a call directly with them?

Kind Regards,

Juan

Like Dave likes this
Dave Atlassian Team Mar 14, 2021

Hi @Juan Du Toit ,

Sorry it's taken a few days to get back to you on this. I've reached out our Product Management team about your offer, they might respond in time but setting up a call like this is not something that I'd typically be involved in. However, we do appreciate the offer!

Regards,

Dave

Like Juan Du Toit likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Marketplace Apps & Integrations

Bitbucket Smart Commits vs. Genius Commits - What's the difference?

If you already heard about Smart Commits in Bitbucket, know that you just stumbled upon something even better (and smarter!): Genius Commits by Better DevOps Automation for Jira Data Center (+ Server...

130 views 0 2
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you