User with all Correct Permissions cannot start/manage/edit/complete sprints

Alexandra King July 15, 2021

Our jira instance has multiple projects, and 5 sprints used, amongst them. 

I have verified all permissions, across all projects, and the users have the correct permissions. I will note that the queries we're utilizing for the board are a bit complex, however, the users do not have issues across all sprint boards. Although, we did make the queries less complex and are still running into the same issue. 

For example, let's name the boards A, B, C, D, and E. The users have the ability to start/edit/complete the A and B sprint board, but not C, D, and E. To note, the queries share similar projects, so we can't figure out why some of the boards allow sprint permissions and some don't. 

PLease advise.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 15, 2021

It's not quite what projects the boards are selecting for, it is more what they might be selecting for.

What are the queries for C, D and E?  Could they be drawing in projects you're not really expecting them to (even if they'll never find an issue because of your data structures, could they be looking at another project?)

Also to add, these are Jira Software projects, if that matters.

Board C Query = (filter = Apps1_Keywords OR labels in (Apps_1)) AND project in ("Project A") AND "Target Products" in ("BL1", "BL2", "BL3", BLv) AND issuetype in (Bug, Maintenance, Enhancement, Task, Story) OR labels in (Apps_1) ORDER BY Rank ASC

Board D Query = (project in ("Project A") OR labels in (Apps_2)) AND "Target Products" in ( "TI18 APB19 Phase 2","BL1", "BL2", "BL3", BLv) AND issuetype in (Bug, Maintenance, Enhancement, Task, Story) AND NOT filter = Apps1_Keywords OR labels in (Apps_2) AND "Epic Link" not in (A-8061) ORDER BY Rank ASC

Board E Query = project in ("Project A", "Project B") AND issuetype in (Bug, Enhancement, Maintenance, Task, LCR) AND "Target Products" in ("BL4", "BL5", "BL6", "BL7", "BL9", "BL9.2", "BL9.1") AND (resolution in (Unresolved, "Test Failed") OR resolution is EMPTY) or labels in (Legacy) ORDER BY Rank ASC

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 15, 2021

Chiming in...

I think the problem is that the filters are not constrained to a specific set of projects.

The filter for board C is not constrained to a specific set of projects because you have the "or labels in (Apps_1)" clause at the end. That opens the filter to searching all projects in the entire Jira instance, and requires the user to have Manage Sprints in all projects in the system.

The same is true for the filter for board D. The clause "or labels in (Apps_2)" opens the filter to searching all projects.

And the same is true for the filter for board E. The clause "or labels in (Legacy)" opens the filter to searching all projects.

Thank you! I thought that may have been the issue, so i went through every single project and made sure that they had the "Manage Sprints" permission in every project. It still does not work. @Trudy Claspill @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 15, 2021

Do you have the Jira Service Management product included in your instance?

Hi,

After reviewing, the permissions were missing from one project, and after adding them, that fixed the issue. I appreciate all of your help with this!

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 15, 2021

Ah, bother, that's the one that always bites me too.  Almost every time, I've missed the permissions on a project!  Well spotted!

Like Alexandra King likes this
Alexandra King July 16, 2021

Thank you again!

kdandring October 19, 2021

I am having the same problem and still feel there is a significant bug here.

My query does not reference a project other than my own.  It does reference a label though.  If any other project happens to also use that label for even a single Jira, then suddenly my Sprints cannot be started/completed.  Yuck!

To work around I currently modify my filter query, start/close my sprints, then put the filter query back to how I want it.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 19, 2021

@kdandring 

Welcome to the community.

If your filter uses a clause like "or Labels =..." then you filter is not constrained to a specific and explicit list of projects. Labels are globally accessible, not project specific. If you include an "or Labels" clause then that instructs Jira to search all projects on the system for issues with that label. That is not a bug.

If your filter is not using an "or Labels" clause, please show us your filter and we might be able to offer suggestions.

Alexandra King October 20, 2021

@Trudy Claspill This was resolved! Thank you!

Suggest an answer