User changed email address, shows up as new account rather than changed original

njk42 October 5, 2020

My company's email addresses have changed due to a merger. 

Admins are using the "Suggest Changes" button to tell users to update their email address associated with their JIRA account. 

Unfortunately when JIRA users change their email addresses in this fashion, it triggers a request for them to be added to the JIRA project as a NEW separate user with the new email address, rather than simply updating their original account with the new email address.

3 answers

0 votes
Steven Viola
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 19, 2021

Nothing to add other than a me too, and it's been very frustrating. Even with Invites disabled for the org, and disabling all approved domains, users are somehow still creating new Atlassian accounts rather than updating their email address. I think this is due to the Slack plugin prompting people to send invites to users in a slack channel whose email address in Slack doesn't match what's in the Atlassian org.

Because the user is able to create a new account, they're no longer able to change the email associated with their account, because the email is already registered with another account. This creates an annoying situation where we have to perform a forgot password for the rogue account, and then change the email address on the rogue account, to be able to perform the email change on the primary account. 

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 5, 2020

this should not be happening AFAIK. I have never used the Suggest changes. TBH I have never even noticed it. :-) Does using this feature direct the recipient to id.atlassian.com? That is the proper way for a user to change their email address.

I'm intrigued about this topic and the Suggested changes feature. A quick search in the docs didn't reveal anything. :-(

nina_schmidt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 5, 2020

Thanks for helping out @Jack Brickey 

njk42 October 5, 2020

InkedAnnotation 2020-10-05 160931_LI.jpg

njk42 October 5, 2020

The URL which the user receives in a "Suggest Changes" email is:

https://id.atlassian.com/manage?suggestChangeDetails=true

which "auto-forwards" to:  https://start.atlassian.com/

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 5, 2020

Seems odd to me but again I have never used this feature. I would try using the id.atlassian.net and see if it works.

0 votes
nina_schmidt
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 5, 2020

Hi @njk42 

I am not familiar with cloud, so I need to ask: 

you assume this is a bug? Or is your instance now behaving different then before? 
Just want to clarify whom to loop in best and understand your request. 
Thank you! 

njk42 October 5, 2020

Hi Nina -  I don't know if there are any new differences in behavior... it's my first attempt at getting users' email accounts changed.  But three different users have experienced the same issue. 

Since JIRA provides a button on the Admin UI to suggest that users change their old email addresses to their new ones, it seems only logical that the change would NOT generate a brand new user but rather would update the original one.  I don't know if the users are doing something wrong in response to the "Suggest Changes" action, or if the admin needs to do something to consolidate the two accounts once the second one with new email address is created.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer