User cannot access jira, redirected to service desk

Alex Devanna September 19, 2019

A customer cannot access JIRA to accept his invitation because he previously had a service desk account. When he signs in he is redirected to service desk even though we've removed his service desk account. We reset his groups, and reset his account and now he can't even log in. We've set him up with an account using his personal email address but this isn't suitable. 

2 answers

1 vote
Cristian Rosas [Tecnofor]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 19, 2019

If he is redirected to the customer portal is because he hasn't license. When a user doesn't have a license and access jira through a base URL like this one:

https://whatevercompany.example/secure/Dashboard.jspa

They will be redirected to:

https://whatevercompany.example/servicedesk/customer/portal/1

Ask your jira administrator about this

The problem we have now is that user/email is almost corrupt now. So we've created another with a non-work email and tried to switch it back to the work email address now we know that the non-work one is functional. 

He reported he can't take on the suggested changes of email address because he gets the following "email address is already associated with another account." I've closed down all other accounts in our JIRA related to him even removed them completed from our system. 

Cristian Rosas [Tecnofor]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 19, 2019

Cloud or server? I would recommend to open a support ticket to Atlassian

Cloud, the user also has only ever had service desk access in the past which no longer exists. Interestingly, he's accessed JIRA via his personal email today but JIRA admin area states he has an invitation pending so it's definitely holding onto the original service desk user info. 

Like Yugo Hino likes this
0 votes
Cody Stevens
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 19, 2019

Hey @Alex Devanna

I don't know if this will help you for this situation but this is how you should upgrade accounts in the future.

If the user is has a customer account, you need to navigate to their account by going to User Management < Jira Service Desk and finding their account.

You would then select their account and select Migrate to Atlassian Account. Sometimes this fails but if it does, just do it again. Once they have been migrated over, you will now have options to add the user to groups and give them licenses for other Atlassian products.

For this specific case, it sounds like its all messed up and it cant go that way. If I am understanding correctly, you deleted his original customer account? I would also delete the personal account that was made since its making this more complicated. Once all of his accounts are removed, I would try adding him again. If it says he already has an account, double check the User Management sections, Jira Service Desk and the Users section. He may be in there somehow. If nothing ends up working, I would do what @Cristian Rosas [Tecnofor] said and open a support ticket with Atlassian.

Suggest an answer