User can not link issue with EPIC

bugf1x July 5, 2019

Example single project:

- Project lead creates EPICs and is assigned to them.

- User creates issue and links it to one of the EPICs.

- Issue is created without error message, but link to epic is missing.

- User can link/block his issue to other issues, regardless if he is assigned to it or the reporter of it

User can only link to EPIC if he is assigned to it, or is the reporter.

Even if the single user is granted the permission to link issues it is not possible.

How can users link to EPICs without granting them Admin rights or assign them to the epics (because multiple users work on issues which are linked to one EPIC of course...)

3 answers

1 vote
Ilya Turov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 5, 2019

Change project's permission scheme so that more people have "Link Issues" rights (guess currently you have Assignee and Reporter):

test.png

bugf1x July 8, 2019

Hi Ilya,

thank you for your answer. I already tried that with no effect. Linking to EPICs still does not work.

0 votes
Eugene C. November 13, 2019

Hi everyone.

Do we have a solution for this issue?

My problem is similar to described - I cannot create issue from Epic: "Create issue in epic" button. It looks like JIRA attempting to resolve ticket Key instead of Epic Name, therefore error appears saying that "Epic with key ' SEO-1064 ' does not exist.". It reproduces for non-admin users.

But as workaround I'm able to create issue as usual - via Create button in header and manually set Epic name into Epic Link field.

Lee Burak December 16, 2020

Did anyone solve it for you? I am having the same issue :(

Eugene Chukavin December 29, 2020

Nope :( Still lot of users are facing this issue.

Sometimes this workaround works: change reporter to any other person and change back. I know It sounds strange.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 29, 2020

Has anyone submitted a Support Request with Atlassian?

https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

Maria Michienzi April 1, 2021

I found changing the "Edit Issues" to the additional project role solved this for us.  I'm not entirely sure if it is a Bug in Jira.  Anyone with "Create Issue" permission should be permitted to enter an Epic.

Vladislav June 4, 2021

To be able to select Epic link in existing ticket user must have Edit Issues permission.

Like NicoBBoon likes this
NicoBBoon June 28, 2022

"Edit Issues permission"
That did it for me, ty

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 8, 2019

Hi Jens - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Do the Issues and the Epics use the same project? Or are they different projects? If different, make sure they are using the same Permission Scheme or the Permission Schemes to each one allow the linking. 

bugf1x July 8, 2019

Hi John,

the issues and epics use the same project. But the linking permission does not work with epics. It only grants the permission to link/block/relate to other issues, not epics.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 8, 2019

Check the screen itself to see if the Epic Link field is available on the screen. 

bugf1x July 8, 2019

Not sure what you mean... as i wrote in my first post: Users have the field to link their issues to epics. The issue is also created with no error or warning. But the link does not exists afterwards.

2019-07-08 15_12_46-Edit Issue _ SAMPLEPROJTB-14 - TWK-JIRA.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 8, 2019

Thanks for the screen shot - that is a big help.  :-)

If you are using the Old Jira Issue View, which it looks like you are, there are two different screens for Create and Edit. Check the Edit screen to see if the field is there. 

You can also try to temporarily switch to the New Jira Issue View and see if it is there. 

bugf1x July 8, 2019

Sure, the Epic link is also available in the edit view. 

Try it yourself.. its only 5 Steps:

1. Create Project

2. Create Epic 

3. Switch to user who is not admin, project lead, assignee or reporter of the Epic

4. Create issue in the same project and link to Epic

5. Issue is created without Epic link 

The new issue view is only for Jira Cloud as it seems. We use Jira Sever.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 11, 2019

Sorry for the long delay. I am not using Jira Server so I cannot duplicate. I would suggest you enter a support ticket with Atlassian. Sorry. 

Suggest an answer