User Stories and Sub Tasks

Diane Roberts February 26, 2018

If I create sub tasks under a user story, can the estimated hours from the total of the sub tasks roll up to be the estimated hours of the total user story?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 26, 2018

On the parent issue view, look to the right for the "time tracking" panel - you can toggle the "include sub task estimates, remaining and logged work" on and off.

Diane Roberts March 1, 2018

Nic - would you be able to to send me a screen shot? I can't find this toggle field in my environment.

Diane

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 2, 2018

include-subtasks.png

0 votes
Bhasker Madella June 9, 2020

I have question on the same topic, I am not adding any estimates to the parent story however, I am adding hours to the sub-task. In this way , I am unable to get the burndown chart with proper report. Should I add the original estimate ? Wouldn't the sub-task hours roll-up to the original estimated time. See the screenshot below, its say unestimated even though the sub-tasks has estimates in themCapture.JPG

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 9, 2020

You do not burn down on sub-tasks.

Put the estimates on the stories - that what you are committing to do in a sprint and that's what butn down measures.

Suggest an answer