Use component to plan and log time

Erik Hamers May 25, 2021

All. We are using 'components' to create a wbs work breakdown structure in the projects. It is possible to plan on project level but time logging has to be done on task (issue) level. Is it possible to plan and log time also on component level? 

1 answer

0 votes
Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2021

Hi, @Erik. Welcome to the community. The answer is very likely "yes." However, the how will depend greatly on what you are using to create your work breakdown structures.

Hint: You want to look for the ability to "sum over" or "roll up" the time spent for the issues that make up the components in the wbs.

If you share some additional details about how you are creating your work breakdown structures, you are much more likely to get the help you need. :)

Hope this helps,

-dave [ALM Works]

Erik Hamers May 26, 2021

Hi Dave. I have the following setup.

- I have created a project using the project functionality. I have added 3 components as wbs activities. see picture 1.

- In a later project stage the project team will add tasks (issues) to the components to actually structure the work tasks and documentation.

- From planning perspective I would like to plan in tempo time for the project components (for example preparation or realisation) and also be able to write hrs on these components or activities directly, so no roll up.

picture 1

jira1.JPG

Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2021

Thanks for the additional info, @Erik Hamers. I was incorrectly assuming you were using one of the Atlassian Marketplace apps that add wbs capabilities to Jira.

I.e., as far as I know, there's no way to address your use case with Jira out of the box. Maybe someone else will have suggestions.

However, you'd be able to address it using an add-on app.

In particular, there are three popular apps that will handle your use case that are (in my experience) most frequently compared: 

and my company's product

But there are other, new and emerging apps, added all the time.  I suggest you get used to using the right marketplace searches to look for options. For example, you might use:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/addons/app/jira/top-rated?hosting=cloud&query=wbs

is this case. I included "Jira," "cloud," and "top-rated" (ratings from customers are used), plus "wbs" in the search by selecting the right categories and adding the search term "wbs."

However, that's a pretty narrow search. Plus, "wbs" is often associated with Waterfall methodologies while Jira Software is associated with Agile. 

Hope this helps,

-dave [ALM Works]

Suggest an answer