Use Summary Field in a Gadget

John Crimarco March 6, 2018

I am trying to create a Gadget and would like to add the "Summary" field to be able to display on a dashboard.  Has anyone done this?

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 6, 2018

Yes, I've written gadgets that do that before.  Where are you struggling?

So you have to change the code to add this field to use in a gadget?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 6, 2018

It depends on what you're trying to do.  My mention of code was just to say that "yes summary can be used".

I think you need to define "add this field to use in a gadget".  What are you trying to achieve and where?

Currently Summary is not a field in my gadgets and i want to be able to show this field so i can display the summary on a Pie Chart.

How do you define "add this field to use in a gadget?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 6, 2018

Ah, right.  It's useless in Pie Charts.

The summary is free text, so using it in a pie chart will just give you a pie with X slices all the same size - 1.

We use the alert name as the summary so having a Pie chart or filter the results helps to identify trends.

So can you explain who to configure the "summary field" on a gadget?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 6, 2018

The Pie Chart gadget is coded to only use field types that are known-length lists, so the answer is "use a gadget that can do it".

Your use of summary for alert name is broken as far as Jira is concerned.  You should probably be using a select list for that, or labels type field - as they're lists rather than free text, they are useful in Pie Charts.

John Crimarco March 7, 2018

None of my gadgets have the option to use "summary"

John Crimarco March 9, 2018

My goal was to add the "Summary field" to my current gadgets.  Is that a possibility? Or do i need to create a new gadget?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 10, 2018

The reason "none of your gadgets have the option to use summary" is because it's useless to them.  It's also not a correct statement, because gadgets that list issues do show the summary.
You'll need to find or write something for your case.  Your misuse of the summary field is generally not useful and hence you're unlikely to find anything that will support it.

Suggest an answer