Uploading Cards from a Physical Kanban Board

Ben Hutton March 8, 2023

Hello, 

One of my team recently used a physical Kanban board and now I'd like to upload the work into Jira.

In the upload, I am having a hard time reflecting the status changes and cycle time.

Any guidance on what fields I need to use?

2 answers

1 vote
Kristopher Perez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 8, 2023

That one is a bit tricky.  Essentially you need to use import issue history, which can really only be done by importing via a JSON data structure - https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/importing-data-from-json-802592907.html

This user answered a similar question here - https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Can-we-import-history-to-jira-from-CSV/qaq-p/1837726

Hope that helps.

Kris

Ben Hutton March 8, 2023

@Kristopher Perez that does help and hurt at the same time!

If I use the JSON format, is it possible to callout the status transition along the way, ie Develop Underway -> Develop Pullable -> Test Underway -> Test Pullable

Sounds like I'll be buying one of my developers lunch...

Kristopher Perez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 8, 2023

Yes - you'd have to, and you'd have to assign dates and an author for each item.  The linked answer I gave shows how to do it perfectly.

Pasted_Image_3_8_23__5_20_PM.png

0 votes
Hitesh March 8, 2023

When uploading work from a physical Kanban board to Jira, there are several fields that you can use to reflect the status changes and cycle time. Here are some fields to consider:

• Issue Status: This field represents the current status of the issue. You can map the physical Kanban board columns to issue statuses in Jira. For example, if you have columns on the Kanban board called "To Do," "In Progress," and "Done," you can map them to the Jira issue statuses of "Open," "In Progress," and "Resolved" or "Closed."
  • Resolution: This field represents the resolution of the issue, such as "Fixed" or "Won't Fix." You can set the resolution of an issue when you move it to a Done column on the Kanban board.
  • Sprint: If you're using sprints in Jira, you can map the Kanban board columns to sprints in Jira. For example, you can map the "In Progress" column to a sprint called "Sprint 1" and the "Done" column to a sprint called "Sprint 2."
  • Time in Status: This field represents the time that an issue has spent in a particular status. You can use a Jira app or plugin to automatically calculate the time in status for your issues.
  • Custom Fields: You can create custom fields in Jira to track additional information related to the Kanban board, such as cycle time or lead time. For example, you can create a custom field called "Cycle Time" and calculate it as the time between the creation date of an issue and the resolution date.

When uploading work from a physical Kanban board to Jira, you may need to experiment with different field mappings and customizations to find the best approach for your team's workflow.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events