Updated Due Date in Issue not showing in Roadmap View

Lorraine Jones August 17, 2022

Hi 

I have a couple of questions around due dates for Issues:

1) I am updating due date in a company managed board but in the roadmap view it is showing as 'no due date' (see screen shot below).

The only way I can get it to show with a due date is if I manually amend the line on the roadmap but then the due date within the issue isnt updated to reflect the new date?

due date.png2) Also, (and possibly related!) I have noticed that when I update the due date within the issue, the roadmap bar for that item doesn't reflect the new date?

Any help? I'm really new to Jira so just trying to find my way around at the moment.

Any pointers would be gladly appreciated!

Thanks

Lorraine :) 

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 19, 2022

Hello @Lorraine Jones

Thank you for reaching out.

Please, let me summarize your scenario to confirm we are on the same page:

Per your description, I believe you're talking about the basic roadmap feature provided by the standard plan of Jira Cloud and not the Advanced roadmaps provided by Jira premium.

Additionally, I understand that you expect that the start and due date you added in the issues are reflected in the roadmaps bar. Can you confirm I properly understood your scenario?

If that's the scenario you have, the scheduling of Child issues In the roadmap can only be reflected by the start and Due date with the following conditions:

1. First, you must have both Start date and Due date fields properly added to your issue screens and layout.  You can follow the steps below to confirm this:
    1. Navigate to your project > Project settings > Screens
    2. Select the screen scheme for your child issues and confirm both fields are added to the Create, View, and edit screens
    3. Project settings > Layout and confirm both fields are added to your child issue's layout
  2. Also, both fields must be filled with a valid value on the issues
  3. You must be using a Kanban board. Scrum boards will ignore the dates you added and get the Sprint start and end dates instead
  4. Once your issues are properly filled with a Start and Due date in a Kanban board, you must turn on the Child level issue scheduling by following the steps below:
    1. From your board, select More (•••) in the top right corner, then select Board settings. Alternatively, from your roadmap, select > Configure Roadmap from the upper right of your roadmap view (next to Export).
    2. Make sure that Roadmap is selected from the list, then toggle the switch for Child level issue scheduling.

You can check the documentation below for more details about the steps provided:

Enable child-issue planning for kanban teams on the roadmap 

Let us know if you have any questions.

Lorraine Jones August 22, 2022

Hi thanks for this - yes the above is all correct.  I have done all of that but when updating the due date it does not reflect in the roadmap. 

So as an example, if I create Task one with a start date of 01/01/22 and and a due date of 01/09/22 it shows on the roadmap but with a rounded right edge (and when you hover it says no due date) I can amend the date actually on the roadmap itself and when i do this the line has a flat edge like it has actually recognised the due date and then when you hover over it the due date shows rather than (no due date).

And then the second issue is if I amend the due date in the edit issue screen itself the bar does not change to reflect the updated date. 

I am using the right fields and have turned on child level issue scheduling so i'm really confused as to the behaviour i'm seeing?

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 22, 2022

Hello @Lorraine Jones

Thank you for your detailed message.

The error you are facing happens when the Due date field is not set correctly with a valid value.

That being said, I'm afraid you (or your team) may have created a custom field called Due date, so when you fill this field in the issue view it does not properly reflect on the roadmap, as only the system field Due date can do this.

You can follow the steps below in order to check if you have an additional Due date field:

1. In your Jira site, click on the cog icon at the top-right corner > Issues
  2. In the left menu, select Custom fields under the Fields section
  3. Search for Due date

If any field is displayed there, you might be using the wrong Due date field. You can fix this problem by going to your project issue screen and adding the correct Due date to your issue screens and layout, removing the incorrect one.

Can you check if that's the case?

Additionally to this, please double-check if the value you are entering for the Due date is still displayed when you refresh the issue. There is a possibility that an Automation rule or post function may be clearing the field.

Thanks!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events