Update the key of a project

amit.bakst October 25, 2022

Hi,
I want to update the name and the key of a certain project, but when I try to update the key, I get a message like this:

Screen Shot 2022-10-25 at 11.56.34.png

I just want to make sure before I do the update that it won't delete things for me, and what does this sentence refer to ״break some external integrations״, Why should I pay attention?

Thanks in advance,

Amit

3 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 25, 2022

In addition to @Eugenio Onofre answer, here a detailed article about that https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/editing-a-project-key-938847080.html

Hope this helps,

Fabio

2 votes
Answer accepted
Eugenio Onofre
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 25, 2022

Hi @amit.bakst

Changing the Project Key will trigger a Jira reindexing, which means all entries in the database will be updated to refer to the new key. Depending on the amount of tickets, the reindex process can take from minutes to hours.

The reindex process will not delete any ticket. 

The reference to "external integrations" refers to possible existing integrations that relies in Jira. Examples:

• if you have Jira Automation rules configured for the old key, you will need to update it to the new one
  • if you have external services (ex: any service that get Jira information via API), this external service will need to be updated to reflect the new API Key.

Regards,
Eugenio

Hi @Eugenio Onofre,

Thank you for the reply!
If I have executed signatures isn't it something I will have to redo on the same tickets?

Thanks in advance,

Amit

Eugenio Onofre
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 25, 2022

I am not quite sure on what you mean by signatures. Are you using any plugin to have eSign documents? Is this what you mean?

Yes, we are using the eSign

Screen Shot 2022-10-25 at 12.30.32.png

Eugenio Onofre
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 25, 2022

I is unlike that signatures will be lost but to be 100% sure, I would recommend creating a support case with the plugin provider.

Chris Cairns - Digital Rose
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 25, 2022

Hi @amit.bakst ,   As the eSign app vendor we can also confirm that changing project keys will not break the references to eSign signatures.  

Feel free to send us any further questions directly at support@esign-app.com 

Chris
Digital Rose

https://www.esign-app.com 

0 votes
raj-kumar2 October 25, 2022

There's nothing to worry about. No data will be lost.

External integrations means existing integrations that relies in Jira.

You can proceed with updating the Project Key, all entries in the database will be updated to to the new key.

amit.bakst October 26, 2022

Thanks @raj-kumar2 !

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events