Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Celebration

Earn badges and make progress

You're on your way to the next level! Join the Kudos program to earn points and save your progress.

Deleted user Avatar
Deleted user

Level 1: Seed

25 / 150 points

Next: Root

1 badge earned

Collect

Participate in fun challenges

Challenges come and go, but your rewards stay with you. Do more to earn more!

Challenges
Coins

Gift kudos to your peers

What goes around comes around! Share the love by gifting kudos to your peers.

Recognition
Ribbon

Rise up in the ranks

Keep earning points to reach the top of the leaderboard. It resets every quarter so you always have a chance!

Leaderboard

Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Update sub-task's field of same parent issue if action occurs on other sub-task

Hey everyone!

This is my first request to the Community, so I am really excited to contribute to this whole knowledge-sharing experience. 

I am trying to implement 2 automations in one of the projects I am coordinating.

Important disclaimer: in this project, each new user story is created with 3 sub-tasks by default. Those are always named "BE", "FE", "Validation".

I would like to:

- If both "FE" and "Validation" subtasks are both in To-Do, when the "FE" subtask is assigned to user X, I want "Validation" of the same parent issue (user-story) to be assigned to the same person.

- When "BE" sub-task is moved to Done, I would like to post an automated comment on the "Validation" subtask of the same parent issue tagging the assignee of the latter.

For the second one I have already made an attempt, but I am not sure.

What I am most uncertain of is how to render in JQL language the condition "subtask of the same parent issue".

I tried to do it in this way (see attached). Thanks to everyone that would help!Screenshot 2022-12-07 at 15.44.44.png

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mark Segall Community Leader Dec 07, 2022

Hi @Riccardo and welcome to the community!

Your second rule looks correct.  Are you finding any issues with it?

For the first rule, you'd need something like this:

• TRIGGER: Field Value Changed (Assignee)
    Note - I use Field Value Changed instead of Issue Assigned because it ensures that if someone removes the assignee it will sync that up too.
  • CONDITION: Summary Contains FE
  • BRANCH (JQL): 
    • Summary ~ "Validation" AND parent = {{issue.parent}}
    • ACTION: Assign Issue (Copy from Trigger Issue)

Hey @Mark Segall, thanks so much for getting back to me so quickly.

Something unexpected happened to the second rule, but only once and it's now difficult to get back to it but I will keep a close eye and let you know if you want!

Thanks so much for the tips on the first rule, it worked but with one small change in the JQL query that rules the branch relation

• BRANCH (JQL): 
    • Summary ~ "Validation" AND parent = {{issue.parent.key}}
    • ACTION: Assign Issue (Copy from Trigger Issue)

Thanks again!

Mark Segall Community Leader Dec 09, 2022

Interesting - Usually adding .key is redundant.   Thanks for sharing that and happy this is working for you.  🙂

Please share the audit log if you happen to see the rule fail again and need some further assistance.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS

Atlassian Community Events