Update resolution date with Automation rules

C. SIMON June 21, 2021

Hello,

I recently created a field call "resolution date" for my projects and I would like for this date to be updated when I change the status to some other status (done, close, rejected, ...).

I am trying to do that by created an Automation rules but I have difficulties to do it. Could someone help me ? 

Here is a picture of what I've done so far automation rules.PNG

4 answers

3 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 21, 2021

Hi @C. SIMON  - You cannot control the value of the Resolved field. That is controlled by the system and is populated when the issue is marked resolved (i.e. a value is placed in the Resolution field). 

So, I think you might be asking if you can mark it resolved earlier than the date that is getting set, and the answer is no. You could mark it later by simply updating the Resolution field to a new value, and it would capture the date at that time. But you cannot make it earlier. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 26, 2021

Hey @C. SIMON  - Any feedback?

C. SIMON October 13, 2021

Hello, I find the way to activate resolution field on our issue. It's perfectly working. Now I just have to correct all the issues =

- a status = done and

- resolution = unresolved and

- resolution date = empty

How can i do in bulk change ?  I would like that resolution date = update date ?

Thank you for your help.

Christelle

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 26, 2021

Hi @C. SIMON

if I understand you correctly you have created a new custom field "resolution date" which is separate from the system field, is this correct?

For the system field John and Fazila already stated important information to consider, there are technical limitations like they said.

On the other hand, could you please describe the use case for a custom field for "resolution date" - it would Community members more likely allow to make a proposal.

Is this a company-managed or team-managed project? Also you said you are struggeling with the rule of some kind - is it not working or giving back wrong results?

Could you probably also post an log of the rule you created?

Apart from the limitations that were highlighted previously I'd expect that updating a custom field (of type date/time) with the current timestamp should work when doing a transition to either status of done, close, rejected.
Should the value in this exactly field be updated for all transitions you mentioned or are you planning to create a date-related field for done-transition, clone-transition and rejected-transition separately?

Regards,
Daniel

C. SIMON October 13, 2021

Hi,

Thank you for your help. I change my mind and use standard JIRA. It's perfectly working. Now I just have to correct all the issues closed before ...

Christelle

Like John Funk likes this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 21, 2021

Hi @C. SIMON 

In JIRA, the resolution date is populated by JIRA when the resolution is last set on the ticket. If you set an automation to update the resolution value, that should update the resolution date.

carly_noreen October 26, 2021

@C. SIMON what I Don't understand is that when something moves to resolved. I edit the issue and change the resolution field to resolved, but the date does not appear, why?

0 votes
Rus Yates-Aylott October 2, 2023

This thread may be old but I cannot find a solution.
We imported a vast number of cases from Freshdesk into JIRA.
We now have an API routine in PowerAutomate that can pull in the Resolved Date from Freshdesk and populate a custom filed in JIRA.
However, this is of no use in reporting because the reports use the 'Resolution Date' in JIRA.

I need to be able to either:
1. Update the JIRA Resolution Date directly from inside my API routine ... or...
2. Run an automation to copy the contents of my custom field into the Resolved/Resolution Date JIRA field.
Can this be done?

Soheil Arian
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 13, 2024

It Does not do that for me. I have an automation that set resolution to Done when status change to close, this does not set resolution date.

Suggest an answer