Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Update resolution date with Automation rules

Hello,

I recently created a field call "resolution date" for my projects and I would like for this date to be updated when I change the status to some other status (done, close, rejected, ...).

I am trying to do that by created an Automation rules but I have difficulties to do it. Could someone help me ? 

Here is a picture of what I've done so far automation rules.PNG

3 answers

1 vote
John Funk Community Leader Jun 21, 2021

Hi @C_ SIMON  - You cannot control the value of the Resolved field. That is controlled by the system and is populated when the issue is marked resolved (i.e. a value is placed in the Resolution field). 

So, I think you might be asking if you can mark it resolved earlier than the date that is getting set, and the answer is no. You could mark it later by simply updating the Resolution field to a new value, and it would capture the date at that time. But you cannot make it earlier. 

John Funk Community Leader Jun 26, 2021

Hey @C_ SIMON  - Any feedback?

0 votes
Fazila Ashraf Community Leader Jun 21, 2021

Hi @C_ SIMON 

In JIRA, the resolution date is populated by JIRA when the resolution is last set on the ticket. If you set an automation to update the resolution value, that should update the resolution date.

0 votes
Daniel Ebers Community Leader Jun 26, 2021

Hi @C_ SIMON

if I understand you correctly you have created a new custom field "resolution date" which is separate from the system field, is this correct?

For the system field John and Fazila already stated important information to consider, there are technical limitations like they said.

On the other hand, could you please describe the use case for a custom field for "resolution date" - it would Community members more likely allow to make a proposal.

Is this a company-managed or team-managed project? Also you said you are struggeling with the rule of some kind - is it not working or giving back wrong results?

Could you probably also post an log of the rule you created?

Apart from the limitations that were highlighted previously I'd expect that updating a custom field (of type date/time) with the current timestamp should work when doing a transition to either status of done, close, rejected.
Should the value in this exactly field be updated for all transitions you mentioned or are you planning to create a date-related field for done-transition, clone-transition and rejected-transition separately?

Regards,
Daniel

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Trello

🏊‍♀️ Atlympic Event: Trello

Hello Community!  Quick disclaimer: We are running a contest on Community (The Atlympics!) from July 23rd - August 8th of 2021. If you are interested in participating in this contest (prizes! ...

91 views 0 9
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you