Update cloned issues simultaneously

Nicolas Gauvin March 8, 2019

Hi,

I want to be able to update feilds of cloned (or linked) issues that were moved (transfered) into other projects. I have several custom feilds that will always stay the same and I'm wondering if I could set it in so when an issue is updated in 1 project, it's also updated in the other project.

In a nut shell:

A clone (or duplicate) an issue, then move it in another project (sometime when all pertinent feild were not yet all filled). This would same me a great deal of retyping concomitant information.

2 answers

1 vote
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 11, 2019

Hello Nicolas,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

I understand that you would like to update the cloned issues fields every time the source issue is upgraded. Is that correct?

Unfortunately, JIRA does not have this kind of functionality, however, there are some plugins that can help you achieve this.

My suggestion would be to use Automation for JIRA plugin and configure the following rule:

Screen Shot 2019-03-11 at 17.50.16.png

P.S: I used the Affect Version/s field as an example, put the same rule can be applied to any issue field.

Let me know if this option helps or if you have any other questions about it. :)

Matias Jauregui Lorda April 29, 2021

This is exactly I needed. Thanks :D

Like RJ likes this
Hubertus Wasmer October 19, 2021

HI Matias,

I tried to open the link from Peter. But it is not working anymore.

could you provide me the plug in name?

best

Hubertus

andras_juhasz July 1, 2022

Seems like there is a free plugin offered by Atlassian serving a similar purpose:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1215460/automation-for-jira-data-center-and-server?tab=overview&hosting=datacenter

From Jira 9.0 onwards, it's an integral part of the SW, while for earlier versions it is available as a free plugin.

Navanshu
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 4, 2024

hi @Petter Gonçalves 

I want to replicate this automation for our Project but the "is cloned by" Linked issue Type is not available for me. How can I create or get the same?

0 votes
Emilie Corcoran August 17, 2022

hi @Petter Gonçalves

Coming back to this comment I am unable to use the "For linked issues" piece here. I'm using "If: Linked issues present" but its not recognizing ccross-project linked issues unfortunately. Can you help? 

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 18, 2022

Hey @Emilie Corcoran

Regarding the branch "For linked issues", you can find this by following the steps below:

1. Go to your automation rule > Click to edit
  2. After adding the rule trigger, click to add a new branch > Branch rule/related issues
  3. Select "Linked issues"
    Screen Shot 2022-08-18 at 1.39.28 PM.png

Also, to include cross-projects in your automation, you must create/edit the automation on the global administration page:

1. Navigate to any project > Project settings > Automation
  2. At the top-right corner, click on global administration

Screen Shot 2022-08-18 at 1.38.22 PM.png

Under that menu, you should be able to edit the rule details and include more projects to be considered by the automation.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Sairys Bolivar September 20, 2023

Hey @Petter Gonçalves 

I did the steps you mention but I can not get the change to run, maybe my process is different, could you help me with the following case, what I need is:

The process would be to receive an incident in jira service Management, clone and move to the corresponding board, which already makes the incidents are linked, what I need is : that the cloned incident to jira software to change status, I change the status of the original incident. Is it possible?

Suggest an answer