Update a language pack

ITQM January 14, 2020

Hi,

I need to change the word "Issues" to "Tasks" in the welcome panel.

I unpacked the language pack. I need to update the files by modifying "Issues" to "Tasks".

Can you help me: how can i identify the key to change the "Issues" menu in the welcome screen to " Tasks".

How can I identify the "Issue Type" Label Key in the unpacked files?

Best regards,

Issue_Type.png

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 22, 2020

Hi ITQM,

I understand that you want to make your own translation values for a few different places within Jira Server.  I was looking into this problem further.  In my example, I was using Jira 8.6.0 here, and I found that in order to make changes as you have described here, you would first need to copy and unpack an existing language jar file.  For my instance I picked out the Spanish Language pack (ES), but these steps could be used for just about any language pack, just note that the filenames will be slightly different.  

One caveat about this is that Jira has separate language packs for Jira Core and Jira Software.  Even though you created this as a Jira Software question, the particular parts  you are referring to here are actually in the Jira Core language pack. 

On my system that file can be found in $JIRAINSTALL/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/atlassian-bundled/plugins/jira-core-language-pack-es_ES-8.6.0.v20191127000000.jar

In my system, I copied that file to another folder, changed the extension to .zip, extracted that file and searched for the strings in question here.

I found that in the unpacked file of /jira-core-language-pack-es_ES-8.6.0.v20191127000000/com/atlassian/jira/web/actionJiraWebActionSupport_es_ES.properties there are numerous elements.  I believe the ones you are looking for here are:

menu.issues.header=Tareas
issue.field.issuetype=Tipo de Incidencia

As you can see in my example, this appear to be the correct element names for translating these parts.

Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 3.37.53 PM.png

So if you wanted to you could

1. Make changes to that .properties file mentioned above the way you like,
  2. save it,
  3. add it back to the .zip file,
  4. then rename that .zip back to a .jar file
  5. and replace that file in the same $JIRAINSTALL/ folder (or possibly $JIRAHOME/plugins/installed-plugins/ folder)
  6. You would then need to restart Jira for such changes to take affect.

I hope this helps.

Andy

ITQM January 23, 2020

Dear Andy,

Thank you.

Where can I find the jira-core-language-pack-en_US?

I can not locate it in the directory  $JIRAINSTALL/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/atlassian-bundled/plugins/.

Jira_Language_packs.png

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 23, 2020

Ah, well in that case, try the file in that directory called jira-languages-8.6.0-en_US.jar

By default this jar file exists, but I would expect it to be largely void of many of these property entries I mentioned above.  Since the default of Jira is in English this file should exist, but might not have all the elements found in the other translation files.

Suggest an answer