Update a Jira Product Discovery idea description when a Jira Software Epic description is updated

Zhifeng Koh May 16, 2023

I use Jira Product Discovery as well as (Company-managed) Jira Software. Currently, I only have 1 JPD and 1 Jira Software project each.

The process my team uses is that 1 JPD Idea <=> 1 Jira Software Epic. Oftentimes, details are written or updated in the Jira Epic over and above what has already been written in the Description field.

I am trying to create an automation that updates the JPD Idea Description field when the Jira Epic Description field is updated. However, my automation is not working (screenshots below).

• What's wrong with my automation? All the rule details look correct.
  • My audit log is showing that my Branch Rule couldn't find any related issues
  • Are JPD ideas simply not supported by Jira Automation?

Audit log info

CleanShot 2023-05-16 at 15.44.39@2x.png

Screenshots of my automation rule

CleanShot 2023-05-16 at 15.42.00@2x.pngCleanShot 2023-05-16 at 15.42.06@2x.pngCleanShot 2023-05-16 at 15.42.21@2x.pngCleanShot 2023-05-16 at 15.42.58@2x.png

1 answer

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 16, 2023

Hi @Zhifeng Koh -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

First thing, thanks for the details of the trigger, conditions, and actions.  Also, it can help to post an image of the entire rule to provide context for the parts.

Back to your question...Your JPD and Software Project are different, and your branch is limited to only linked issues in the Software Project (i.e., AUTHK).  I believe you instead want to branch to issues in the JPD project.  Please note this type of rule will need to be either global, or multi-project, in scope.

Kind regards,
Bill

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events