Update Story A when dependent stories are completed.

fahad.niazi August 12, 2020

Hi Folks,

I have a scenario which i want to handle through Workflow but m getting no where. I have Story A which is dependent on Story 1, Story 2 and Story 3. The dependency is done via 'issue link' . I want, if Story 1 Story 2 and Story 3 are done than Story A should automatically gets close.

So my workflow needs:

1) Upon completion of Story 1, it will check if it is dependent on any story.

2) if Yes, check if other dependent stories (Story 2 and Story 3 )are done.

3)  If yes than update the status of Story A to Done.

Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 12, 2020

Hi @fahad.niazi 

Can I confirm:

• What link type relates Stories 1-3 to Story A?
  • Are Stories 1-3 linked together also? If yes, with what link type?

^ It'll be best to do this via Automation as opposed to in a Workflow. This is because whilst workflows can be great for validating data, it's mainly to allow for an action to take place - whilst Automation uses a trigger to perform a related action, and can take into account other conditions like in your instance.

Ste

fahad.niazi August 13, 2020

Hi Stephen, 

The Stories 1-3 are linked with Linktype "Resloves" to Story A and Story A has link type with Story 1-3 with "is resolved by".

Thanks,

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 15, 2020

Hi @fahad.niazi 

This should be possible in Automation - to access Automation at a project-level, you'll need to be a Project Admin and then:

1. Go to Project Settings > Automation
  2. Press the blue "Create Rule" button in the top-right corner to start

------------

For the rule, use this:

1. Trigger: Issue Transitioned - To Status: Done
  2. Add a Branch: For "Type of related issues", choose Linked Issues - then, select the link type "resolves"
  3. Add a Condition: Related Issues Condition - For "Related Issues", choose Linked Issues - then for "Link Types" choose "is resolved by". 
  4. Next (still on same Condition), for "Condition", choose "None match specified JQL". Finally, in "Matching JQL" enter status != Done
  5. Add an Action: Transition Issue - set "Destination Status" to Done

^ The way this rule works is it triggers when Story 1-3 are closed. It then locates the related issue - Story A - and checks no other related issue to Story A is open. If some are, it does nothing - but if none are, it closes Story A.

------------

You can of course modify this rule to suit your needs, for example:

• Trigger: Change the "To Status" to whatever your closure statuses are
  • Condition: Change the JQL to statusCategory != Done if you have multiple "Done" statuses
  • Action: Choose to edit a field during the closure - for example, if Resolution is required via your workflow.

------------

Let us know if this works for you!

Ste

fahad.niazi August 17, 2020

Thanks Ste...i guess that will do.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin