Update Parent Start date with Child min Due date

Debbie August 16, 2022

Hi, I'm trying to automate inputting a Parent start date based on a Child's earliest due date.

Using the same logic, I managed to update Parent end date based on Child's latest end date but somehow the date does not update for Start date when a Child's earliest due date is changed/added.

What am I missing here? Happy to provide more information if necessary.

Screenshot 2022-08-16 at 10.11.29.png

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 16, 2022

Hi @Debbie -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You noted that:

I'm trying to automate inputting a Parent start date based on a Child's earliest due date

However looking at your rule, the check on date with the condition appears to be the problem, and if you show the details of your audit log, it may confirm this.

In your rule...

• you branch to the parent issue of the trigger issue (a sub-task)
  • inside of a branch, {{issue}} refers to the branched-to issue (not the trigger issue)
  • and in your branch you test {{issue.parent.startdate}}, so inside of the branch, this would be the grandparent of the trigger issue

Please try changing the condition inside of the branch to test with {{issue.Start date}}

Kind regards,
Bill

Debbie August 18, 2022

Thanks for the solution! Indeed it worked beautifully. 

Thon chanvannak November 23, 2023

chanvannakthon.tcv16@gmail.com

ahnak.atlassian.com❤️ 

0 votes
Srinivaas July 20, 2023

I have multiple Subtasks with different start date and due dates. How to implement the max due date among all the sub tasks dates set  to parent due date like Gantt..

0 votes
Antonio Campagna March 15, 2023

Hi Debbie,

I need same solution could you please publish the entire woking role?

I'm new with Jira Automations and I need just copy and paste yoyr soltion.

Thanks

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 16, 2022

One useful debugging technique is to add Log Actions to your rule to print to the rule audit log the values you are comparing.

Are StartDate and DueDate the same type of field?

Debbie August 18, 2022

Thanks for the recommendation of adding Log Actions, I've done that now and will continue to do that for future rules. 

StartDate and DueDate are both date fields and seem like the reference to the issue was the problem. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events