Unable to update existing Issues using External System Import

Louise Simmonds January 22, 2021

Hi,

I've been through some other forum posts but cannot get this to work.

I want to update the Original, remaining and time spent fields in some issues within as existing project. I take the following steps but cannot get it to update:

1. Query for the issues I want to update and export results to csv
  2. Add data to the fields mentioned above (in seconds)
  3. Use External System Import and map both the field and the value for Issue Key and Issue ID along with the fields I want to update
  4. When importing I get the following error message:

"7 of 7 issues have been skipped because they already exist in destination project"

I am able to create new issues just not update existing ones.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2021

Hi @Louise Simmonds 

Please use only issue key if you want to update issues.

Louise Simmonds January 28, 2021

Thanks yes that worked! 

Celine Penaredondo April 21, 2022

Hi! I tried to do this. But I couldn't update the Resolved Date of the Issues. 

CSV (Summary, Issue Key, Issued ID, Resolved), here's the column I have on my CSC that I'm trying to import. 

Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 21, 2022

@Celine Penaredondo a few questions, 

1. Is the issue in a final status on your workflow?
  2. What is the resolution being set? If I am not mistaken, a ticket without a resolution is not resolved as far as JIRA is concerned
  3. Can you share a sample of the exact parameters you are passing into the CSV and the mapping you have in place?

This would help me ascertain what the issue could potentially be.

Regards.

Like Celine Penaredondo likes this
Celine Penaredondo April 21, 2022

Hi @Ismael Jimoh , A little background on this issue. (just in case someone is experiencing this as well)

I created a workflow that does not have a Transition Post Function on Resolution. What happened was the issue was "Resolved" but the Resolution is "Unresolved", this issue also does not have Resolved Date. 

I agree with your comment. I forgot to put a Resolution -> "DONE" to my CSV.

Resolution Column is a must. 

I was able to update it. :) 

Thank you!

1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 22, 2021

Hello @Louise Simmonds 

1. Issues can be updated only through the External System Import/CSV function available to JIRA Admins through the Settings > System menu. If you try to use the "Import issues from CSV" function available on the Issue Search screen under the ellipses button, that feature does not support updating existing issues.

2. You must include the Summary field in your issue mapping also.

3. I think Time Spent is not a fixed field that can be updated directly in an issue. I believe it is a calculated field based on a summation of Work Logged.

Radek Dostál
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 22, 2021

2 - just a header, do not actually insert values, because you could end up overwriting summaries due to character encoding, to be perfectly clear to update issues from csv, the .csv must contain Issue Key column, with the right issue keys, and an empty Summary column, because Jira just requires this for mapping but if you leave empty values in .csv it will effectively ignore it, it's just in there to get around the required field

3 - last I remember I was able to import Time Spent from .csv

Louise Simmonds January 28, 2021

Thanks you both, I was able to import using just the issue key and Time Spent field worked.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events