Unable to set Initiative as top level in Hierarchy

Cesar Moreno August 12, 2022

I am attempting to add INITIATIVES as an option for our projects, I see that currently EPIC is set as top-level.  I am not able to change that or modify it in a way to reflect INITIATIVE as the highest level.

Screen Shot 2022-08-12 at 4.36.33 PM.png

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 12, 2022

What you see is correct, the way you have it set up in the picture means that Initiative is above Epic. Ignore the number, that is a bit misleading. You should read the list top to bottom, meaning that the level that is at the top is the top or the hierarchy.

Cesar Moreno August 12, 2022

Thank you for clarifying.  I do have one error that I see that I can investigate but when attempting to set a Parent Link for EPICS I get an error that it is the top of the list in hierarchy.  Maybe they are not related.  Will look around.

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 12, 2022

Make sure that you save your changes to the hierarchy. If it is saved correctly the Parent link should work correctly.

0 votes
Michael Ballenger January 25, 2023

Posting here, because may be related- When working with Advanced Roadmaps, it appears you can set levels above epic and they are numbered accordingly. Screenshot 2023-01-25 071411.png

We get an issue similar to Caeser's using Plans where Plans does not correctly define the parent-child relationship between Initiative and Epic.  It will show the Epic as a child in the initiative issue, but will not show the initiative as a parent in the Epic issue- you have to go in and create it manually.  I'm concerned it's because without Advanced Roadmaps the hierarchy isn't functioning correctly.

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 25, 2023

@Michael Ballenger The picture you included is from Advanced Roadmaps Guide and looks to be from a DC instance. The numbering has nothing to do with the ordering, the list is read from top to bottom in Advanced Roadmap. And you are right, this hierarchy is only working if you have access to Advanced Roadmap.

Here is a screenshot from my instance, and as you can see the epic is listed as #1, but the parent link will link epics to Theme, and Theme can only have an Initiative as parent.

Screenshot 2023-01-25 at 8.31.57 AM.png 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events