Unable to edit permissions for existing user

Mary Sutter June 21, 2021

Hello,

A user said she didn't have access to Jira because she was registered with the incorrect email address.  So I went to create a new account for her using the correct email, but it already existed.  However, the account details said she had no product access.  I tried to add Jira to product access, but I'm unable to.  So, I tried to delete the profile so I could recreate it with access to Jira.  But I can't do that either, because it just says it's scheduled the deletion for 30 days from now.  So now when I try to invite her to Jira using the correct email address, it gives me this message:

“Unable to send invite. We were unable to send any invites because one or more accounts you invited are disabled.  Remove these accounts from your invite and try again.”

But...the account is disabled because I tried to delete it. So I can't modify the existing user profile, and I apparently can't delete it, either.  Anyone have any advice?

Thanks!

1 answer

1 vote
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 21, 2021

Hey @Mary Sutter

why don't you reactivcate her account (Atlassian ID) and look for another admin in your organization who's able to grant product access instead? You will not be able to delete her account unless the user account is managed by your organization (see the docs). Here's an additional link for you to get some more details about user management on cloud in general. I think it will be very helpful! :) Was there a specific problem you ran into granting product access or are you not able to grant that access in the administration in general?

Best, Max

Mary Sutter June 21, 2021

Hi Max!  Thanks for responding.  Unfortunately, we only have one other admin in our organization and he's currently out of the office.  The only reason I have admin rights is because I'm providing backup support while he's out, and I was only expecting to need to do very basic tasks like adding new users.  

Yes, when I look at the user's managed account, it shows that she has no product access, and the only options available to me to change the account are to reset the password, deactivate the account, or delete the account.  I'm able to grant access to Jira to new users, but I can't change anything about existing users.  This user also has another Atlassian account with a different email address, but she can't login with that one because the email address is incorrect.  

Like Max Foerster - K15t likes this
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 21, 2021

Good morning Mary, so the whole situation seems a bit unfortunate as you will need the other admin to fix it. Unless he is on vacation longer than the deletion grace period lasts (14 days), I would cancel the deletion.

So the user will stay in the system and maybe try to reach out to Atlassian Support to ask for guidance. Never approached them with a similar topic but at least it's worth a try. And better than doing nothing. And you are sure that you can't even add the user to the default product access group of Jira in the user management of your admin hub?

Suggest an answer