Unable to delete/undo saved JQL filters.

FO March 1, 2021

Hi guys, I created several JQL filters on a project and saved them but when I was done and went back to my backlog, all my issues had disappeared. I actually created another project, created and saved JQL filters and all my issues again disappeared from my backlog. How do I prevent the filters from applying to my backlog by default or how do I remove the filters until I need to use them? I am unable to delete my current filters.

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 1, 2021

Hi Faith, so I’m not positive but I suspect that maybe you edited the filters associated with the boards causing the issues to no longer be visible on the board. First it is important to understand that boards are visual representations of queries and as such what is displayed on the boards is driven but the filters. 

with that said, Assuming you are using Classic project go to the board and select board settings under the ellipses and then General. What does your filter look like? While in settings click on Columns. What status do you see in Backlog column?

FO March 1, 2021

Hi Jack, thanks for the response. I went to General and deleted the filter that made all my issues disappear, lol. I had filtered for unassigned = EMPTY. That being said, going forward, what do I do with filters, as using filters immediately impacts my backlog meanwhile I only intend to use them for future searches. What do you advise?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 1, 2021

So filters have a number of purposes in Jira:

• boards - all boards have an underlying filter that defines the issues that will be displayed
  • dashboards - use filters as part of what they display
  • saved filters - allow you to quickly access the issues you wish to see and how they are displayed

So basically you will create boards based upon a project or a filter. You should create those filters and only edit if you need to change what is displayed on the boards. Try to incorporate naming conventions for your filters so you know what they are, e.g. board - project xxx scrum. Or use the description field to articulate where the filter is used.

Like FO likes this
FO March 2, 2021

This is a great help Jack, thank you!

FO March 2, 2021

Sorry Jack but apparently, my problem still exists. I took your advice went into board settings-general and removed my saved filters. My issues showed up and it turns out that they only show when I go into All Issues (there is still no issue in my backlog, so I can't create a Sprint.) 

I created another board with a new set of filters, believing that I would go into my project board and see my complete issues and navigate into my new saved board if I wanted to view my filtered items but that is not the case. Once I go into my project, I land directly in my new board with the new saved filters. Sorry for so much bother but I need help. Is there a way to get helpdesk in Atlassian to have someone use remote desktop to go through the process with me?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 2, 2021

Hi Faith, so to be clear I have not suggest removing your saved filter. TBH, not even sure how that would be possible. A board must have an associated filter. You can edit the filter if the board isn't displaying what you want. Can you please copy your filter and share here and also tell my what you want the board to display. Also a screenshot of your General tab would be nice.

We should be able to nail this down as, while it can seem quite foreign at first, it really is pretty simple once understood. At least compared to some things in Jira. ;-)

Like FO likes this
FO March 2, 2021

Step 1.PNGStep 2.PNGStep 3.PNG

This what I get when I try to go to my project and see my backlog (with my issues included of course). But I find myself in the new board I created which already has the new filters. Simply put, how do I remove or edit the filters in my default project board. Going to board settings and general has not helped.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 2, 2021

I do not understand the purpose of the first two images. I guess it is how you are navigating but that isn't really important here.

In the last image....

• You are currently viewing the "Active sprints" page. If you want the backlog then click on the "Backlog" in sidebar.
  • Just under "Amazon 1 Classic software project"  you see "Filters for Amazon ... Board". You will see a down arrow that can be clicked to expose all boards associated with the current Amazon 1 project. 

Now what I'm looking for here is to zero in on the board you are interested in using and do the following:

1. click on the ellipses in the upper right and select board settings
  2. select General
  3. capture screenshot
  4. paste here
Like FO likes this
FO March 2, 2021

Hi Jack, many thanks again. So I followed your first 2 steps; clicked on backlog (which I had repeatedly done previously with an empty backlog displaying) and then I selected the Amazon 1 project and found the board I was looking for. I am surprised because I had been going from the Jira homepage to the Amazon project, then to the backlog but ending up with the filter board for Amazon 1. I think I need a coffee but many thanks Jack!!! :)

FO March 2, 2021

My bad, navigation was definitely the problem; I was searching for the Project Amazon board meanwhile I was within the "Filters for Project A board."

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events